Ground for HU

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cbdenver 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  

All,

Should I ground my HU to the same point as my amp (Punch 400.4) under front seat?  I have a bit of what I think is ground loop noise.  RCA and power wires are already separated on each side of car and amp is grounded to bare metal.

Thanks,

CB

chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
You can if you want.  I would just grind a good ground under the dash.  Regrind the ground for the amp too.   Do you RCAs have a third wire?  If so, ground one end of the RCAs.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
cbdenver 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Dean.  I'll try regrounding the HU next.  I'm not sure what you mean by 3rd wire on RCA?  As far as I know, they are 2 cond each "side" and a remote wire in between.

Should I ground one end of them you think?

webguy 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
What he meant by a "third ground" is that a lot of "hi-end" audio cables will have a tiny 14-18 gauge wire seperating the L & R sides of the cable. However, I do not recommend using this as your ground. It is much better to run a dedicated ground. Too many times I have had to replace the RCA cables for one reason or another. Its best to run a minumum of 14 gauge wire along with the RCA cables to the amp/crossover unit, grounding everything at the same point. Sorry, Dean, to disagree on the dash ground, although it will work it most cases, but it is just better to have a dedicated ground..........
Clean tools = Clean work!
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
i think if you get a good frame ground, wiht lots o metal, and they are all connected to the same peice of metal, you should be fine. You can also measure resistance between grounding points, and if it is low and close to the resistance of a wire, you're probably fine.
/NyxBass
The Distortion 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  

so let me see if I get this right, ideally the same ground point for everything is the way to go. what if I have the amp(s) grounded in the trunk , do I run a ground wire from the H/U to the trunk as well?

just checking

chasesaccessori 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  

I was not talking about using the third wire for ground!  The third wire on the RCAs should be grounded on one side.  This will act as a electrical noise shield, not as good as if you were to completely wrap the wires in a shieth.  They use the same theories and practices with most high end spark plug wires, industrial machines, and air craft.  It is important to not ground both sides of the wire or you will be defeating the purpose.

As for the HU, I still hold firm with regrounding it in the dash.  Nyxbass has a good step to follow and I agree, Measure the resistance if your concerned.  Another point to check would be to clean the ground where the battery grounds the chassis of the car.

(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
webguy 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  

I still assert the opinion that its best to run a dedicated ground back to where the amps are grounded. At least a 14 gauge stranded. Then there is absolutely no doubt that you have eliminated any possibilities of ground-loops. You've got to run your cables back there anyway..............do it at the same time.

And Dean is correct in regards to thrid wire theory. Sorry Dean, I misunderstood your intention.

IF your RCA cables have a third wire, ground it at the amp side. Extend the wire if the RCA input jacks on the amp are on opposite sides from the power terminals. Just add enough to run it around the amp to that ground terminal.

Clean tools = Clean work!
chasesaccessori 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
That's fine.  Just don't run the ground with the RCAs, treat the ground as you would a power wire for the amps, opposite sides of the car!!!
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
cbdenver 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the input everyone.

So if I reground to the firewall or chassis behind HU in dash, should I also run a ground to amp location (under front seat)?  Should not hurt anything?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic