icon

Wiring , 2005 Dodge Ram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
schlepporello 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2005 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4 X 4 with the 5.7 Liter Hemi and 5-speed automatic trans. It came equipped with the factory installed tow package. I'm trying to hook up additional reverse lights and I would like to splice them into the harness which leads to the seven pin connector for my trailer lights. I have no concrete idea as to which wire is for what and would really like to know for sure before I use the "Trial and Result" meathod for wiring. All I neend to know is which wire in the harness is for the accessory/reverse lights in this harness for this 7-pin hook-up. I can improvise a ground with a self threading screw in a bumper support.

Thanks!

I see short people all the time.
They're everywhere.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 4:25 AM / IP Logged  
Go to the tail lights....find the "reverse light" there should only be 2 wires. Test them, the one that goes to 12v when in reverse......thats your wire!!!
schlepporello 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  

KarTuneMan wrote:
Go to the tail lights....find the "reverse light" there should only be 2 wires. Test them, the one that goes to 12v when in reverse......thats your wire!!!
Thanks KTM, I've been there already. All of the wires go into a modular plug which plugs into the back of the taillight housing. From there a sealed wiring bar (circuit board?) distributes the power to the bulbs as needed. This setup makes it impossible for me to separate which two wires I need as I cannot tell which wire goes to which bulb. My only "real" options at this time is to send off $60 to MOPAR for a wiring diagram or splice into every suspected hot lead  and make my own ground until I find the correct wire. I'd prefer something a little more direct, like finding the right wire on the first try.

Thanks for your help and quick response.Wiring , 2005 Dodge Ram - Last Post -- posted image. 

They're everywhere.
schlepporello 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2005 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I gave up on hopes for an easy answer and took out the taillight, got my test light, and put momma in the front seat and told her to put the truck in reverse and turn on the ignition  WITHOUT STARTING THE ENGINE!

I made my own ground by drilling a self-tapping machine screw into the rear bumper mount and attaching my ground wire to that. The wire I selected is a white wire with a light green stripe (looks more like a green stripe with a yellow border). I gave up hopes on splicing into the trailer light harness and spliced into the tailight harness intead. This required much less wiring and will hopefully hold up better when ice accumulations build up on them this coming winter. 

Just thought I'd throw this out there on the forum in case anyone else is interested in adding reverse lights to their '05 Ram.

They're everywhere.
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2005 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for providing the follow up. It's great when posters come back and tell us how they have fixed a problem or done something like you have.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic