icon

How many watts these components have?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
I'm looking at CDT EF-61 6.5" components, and specs say the wrms is 120. But when I look at specs for the mid driver only, it says only 70 wrms. Where did the other 50 wrms go? To the tweeter? I'm confused here. And how powerful the amp should be? 120 wrms or 70 wrms?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  

According to the web site, the RMS rating is 120 watts for the set. An amp producing between 50 and 150 watts per channel would be just fine.

The x-over distributes the power accordingly, why are you concerned about the mid's capability?

vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
Because in my current car I have 60 wrms 2-way coaxials powered by 75 wrms amp (per channel), and I feel like I need more power. I thought 120 wrms would be sweet, but now it seems that it's pretty much as powerful as what I have now. And I still don't understand howcome the mid is 70 wrms, but the set is 120 wrms. 50 wrms for the tweeter seems a bit much to me. I'm thinking of powering them with a 125x2 amp, but now I'm not really sure if those are the components I really need...or want.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
The "power" is generated by the amplifier.  The speakers are rated for the power input they can handle.  Speakers do not produce power, they use it up.  If you are using the same amp, then you have the4 same amount of power available to the speakers.
Support the12volt.com
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
This will go into a totally different car, so everything will be different as well. I understand that speakers handle power and amplifiers produce power. But I don't understand what exactly I'm getting with these components.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
According to CDT: Model: EF61 6.5" 2-way Midrange: 6.5" Cast Crossover: "Phase Perfect" Elliptic 4th order 2-way SatNet-456a Tweeter: .75" silk soft dome Power handling: 120 watt RMS Frequency response: 55-20kHz Sensitivity: 91.9 dB. Impedance: 4 Ohm
Support the12volt.com
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, this is correct. But the mid itself is only 70 wrms with 120 watts peak (almost the same what I have now). 50 wrms is for the tweeter, right? 120 wrms is just the total combined power of mid+tweet?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

I took a look at Dynaudio to see how they rate mids separately from a crossed-over component set.  Looked at one of them, and both the combined set AND the mid alone were specified as 100 watts.  I wanted to see if on a high-end line they would use a greater RMS for the component set than the single woofer was spec'd, and in this case they didn't.

http://www.dynaudio.de/eng/auto/mobile/240gt.php

http://www.dynaudio.de/eng/auto/mobile/mw150.php

I know there is attenuation built into the crossover.  It appears that the CDT line-up is marketing more towards the less sophisticated crowd, or they would have just rated the component set at 70 or 80 watts like Dynaudio did.  But at least you did some homework first and you know that you won't be getting that extra 2 decibels that you appear to be hoping for with this set.  But what can it handle?  You can be sure it will handle 120 watts power.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
This is quite interesting. If you look at Dynoaudio 3-way system:
3-way system
It says 200 wrms.
But if you go and look at each speaker seperately:
7"
100 wrms.
3"
130 wrms.
1"
20 wrms? (20-150 continous power handling)
All these add up to at least 250 wrms, but the system is rated for only 200 wrms. So I'm not really sure where they're getting these numbers from.
Anyway, seems like the 120 wrms is the correct amount, since you actually need to combine the power of each speaker. I could be wrong, but it sounds logical.
DYohn 
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
Speaker system power ratings are given for the total capability of the system when it is used as intended.  Individual driver ratings cannot be simply "added up" and expected to necessarily jive with system ratings.  It's determined by the crossover just as much as by any individual driver ratings.  Almost all tweeters, by the way, are rated for 20 watts or less.  Most are in the 10 watts range since that's about all that is ever possible in those higher frequencies.  The only time you need to care about driver ratings is if you plan to go active and bi- or tri-amp your system.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic