icon

Port Tube Advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smurphalurph 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, Im planning on porting my trunk into my *cabin(if thats what you call it) Reason is Iv Dynamated most of the trunk and it still rattles Alot! When I Take the back seat out it sounds great, but I cant ride anybody with me. Here is a rough pic of my back seat and drawings of port tubes through the wall. Do you guys think it would work and how big should the tubes be? Let Me Know What You Think
Port Tube Advice -- posted image.
When you do things right, people won't realize you've done anything at all.
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
i should work but i've never seen it done this way.. most of the time people port thru the deck lid.. right in the center between the speakers that r usually there.... but what u have looks like it should work.. i would guess that u would need like 3" ports for those
S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
mikeva 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
bringing the ports into the car wont reduce the rattle in the trunk by a noticable amount, most likely not enough to make it worth it to cut up your seats.the reason is that a large amount of sound doesnt come out the port,you only hear the resonance of the port,like blowing across a soda bottle.all the power comes from the speaker,which will still be in the trunk.the only thing i can suggest is to make sure all bolts and screws are tight in the trunk and keep adding dynamat to those areas/panels that keep rattling.as far as the size of the ports,the rule of thumb is that it depends on the size of the speaker.for 8-10" speaker use a 3" diameter port, for 10-12" use 4", for 12-15" use a 5", and 15+ use a 6". then after you decide what size you want use the port length calculator on the left to determine the size.
smurphalurph 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
Would having a vented enclosure like mine change that. When the back seats out i can literally feel the air pressure change when the subs hit.Port Tube Advice -- posted image.
mikeva 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
change what?
smurphalurph 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
I mean would it change how you said about the resonance of the port. Honestly Im kinda confused now. But I just figured porting the trunk would make it so the air inside could move more freely. Thus depleting most of the trunk rattle. Then you explained the thing about resonance which got me kinda confused.
mikeva 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
oh you are talking about having ports separate from the box.i thought you were talking about having ports coming directly off the box into the car.hmm,yea you could try,but personally i would still try putting more dynamat and tightening up every bolt in the trunk before i cut my seats.if you end up doing it let us know how it turns out.but what i was explaining before is how a port works,sorry.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic