icon

1968 Mustang subwoofer enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hasa68mustang 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  

I found this site years ago and I have browsed the forums every once in awhile and it wasnt until recently that I decided to follow some posts, so I decided to create an account. So here I am, My name is Tommy and I have a 68 mustang, I bought it when I was 12 and I am almost 17 now. After changing my exhaust to dual glasspacks it has quite a drone and is loud and low and it makes it so you cant hear any lows, I listen to most kinds of music, and anything minus the lows is pretty crappy, so I decided I wanted to buy a sub or 2 and not go over kill. Well in first period I was bored and browsing ebay and decided what the hell Ill buy some so I did. it took a little bit of convincing myself that I actually needed them before I bought them. I decided on 2 pioneer ts-w306c's, anyone hear anything good/bad about them? kinda late to ask now but my whole stereo consists of pioneer and I figured I would keep it that way. Now I must build a box to house them. I have built several boxes for my friends cars and they just had to look good and now that this is going in mine I must decide on what I want. I take the car to shows weekly mostly with local clubs and I dont want to go all crazy fiberglass everwhere, but I wouldnt be able to have a standard box in the trunk. There is also the problem of going to a show and worrying about being shot for have one of those ghetto blasters in a classic car. I did a quick paint drawing of what I was thinking about/a general idea of what could be done. Right now my plan is to paint it to match the car for carpeting would look weird with my plaid trunk mat. I cant take any pics right now but if you look at the ones I posted you can probably see what it is I have to work with. I just want to retain alot of trunk space, make it look nice, sound good, and ummm anytihng else you want a stereo to do... so anyone have any ideas or suggestions? tools/skills arent a problem.. time and money on the other hand is. Heres a pic of someone elses setup and a link to someone elses setup http://jr.stangnet.com/sub.htm

1968 Mustang subwoofer enclosure - Last Post -- posted image.

toolinmaine 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
Pretty complex box. Is it made w/ MDF or Fiberglass. Thats cool man. Im personally a Chevy guy but I appreciate a good mustang.
eric anderson-nosredna cire
hasa68mustang 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2005 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
The box has turned out to be more of a pain than I originally imagined. the fit is so tight that in order for me to even make 12"s fit the trunk hinges must come out which is no biggie 4 bolts for the pair. I made a cardboard box to make sure everything will be ok then realised I have to build a concave corner so that my 6x9s in the package tray will go in... so has anyone heard/own the ts-w306c/dvcs?
hasa68mustang 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
well I am "done" with box #1 it was a pain in the beind to get everything right and all the angles right with the table saw... I Am waiting for the subs and amp to come tomorrow... got the amp kit today at a quarter to 9 PM from ups I was hoping to get it all ready before the amp but no such luck... so tomorrow after school and work hopefully I will be "bumping" with 1 sub then over the weekend finish the other box... theres the pics one is the cardboard template and the other is the 3/4" mdf box. it JUST fits and in order to make the 12"s fit I have to take off the trunk hinges to get the boxes in and out but they shoudl be in there for awhile...
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 2:47 AM / IP Logged  
Some specs for the subs that i got off the pioneer site.
Bl= 9.29 Tm @ 2ohm.
Xmax= 9.4mm
Vas=1.8ft^3
Fs=32.9Hz
Qms=10.8
Qes=.5
Qts=.48
sub displacement is .117ft^3
I dont know what a good Bl figure looks like but it seems average, however the linear excursion seems pretty decent (although i may be wrong there too, lol). I cant see u being disappointed with the purchase for the price anyways. Have u measured the airspace for the box yet? What brand is the amp u bought (dont think i saw it in either forum)? Really sucks about having to take the hinges off though, hope its not too much of a pain to put back together.
hasa68mustang 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
the box is just over 1.1 cubit feet internally, the amp is ummm a ummmm well *whispers* pyramid...
hasa68mustang 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
I keep forgetting to post the pics soooo here they are...
hasa68mustang 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2005 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
heres one of the boxes... I need to trim the brace on the back and I am in the process of fiberglassing all of the corners and places that are prone to leaking. I want to make some kind of grill for it... I was thinking something similar to what placid warrior just made the boxes will eventually be painted the same color as my car....
hasa68mustang 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
well today was the day.... and I realised that I suck at life... I appear to have only measured one side of the hump, in the middle it gets bigger and I also didnt think about the hinge springs OR the fact that the box wasnt made to just slide into place, it was supposed to go in at an angle and the lip on the bottom prevented it from going in... so I cut most of it off, and after alot of kicking, sledge hammering and anger I got it in.... so the car was all apart and I mounted the amp to a piece of mdf and placed it behind the seat and screwed it there, I also fiberglassed all of the joints and corners on the inside of the box so it cant leak. so its in there and sounds really good and is only 1 and you can hear it over the exhaust most of the time (only when revving REALLY high you can hear it but it pulses with the exhaust).... but its only one running off of 900 watts so itll be better when the second one goes in... but like I was saying about the hinge springs they are in the way... I dont want to do anything to them just simply make another box, this time fiberglass... heres a pic of what it looks like... any suggestions?
hasa68mustang 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
this is a terrible topic and I hate to bring it back but I have a question.... I was looking at a newer mustang with a false floor and subs and the magnets are facing up and it looked pretty cool, almost as if they were just lying down in there and the amps were mounted to the floor... but anyway that would probably be the worlds easiest thing to do in my car because the entire floor has a rectangular recessed area and could very easily be made of mdf... so what do you guys think? and how would that sound? I have a pair of jvc hx-z30 speakers that will lay flat and be about the right height I will go hook them up and see... heres the pic of the stang I was talking about...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic