2001 Ford Ranger Remote Starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
janell 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  

Hi All,

I posted this question to the list about three weeks ago, but it either didn't make it through the moderator or something else funky happened.

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 that I am trying to install a DesignTech remote starter in.  The only problem that I am having is bypassing the Transponder.  I am able to remote start the vehicle when the key is in the ignition.

I have spoken to DesignTech multiple times about finding the Dk Green / Purple wire in the driver kickpanel.  They say that if I can find that wire that I'll be able to bypass the factory alarm without adding a bypass unit.  I’ve looked all over (meaning in both door looms, all looms under the driver dash, all of the kickpanel wires, under the passenger dash) for the wire, and I swear I cannot find it.  Can anyone tell me specifically where this wire (or at least give me a general idea where to start) is?

On another note, I’m very disappointed with DesignTech in general.  Their tech support has been pretty much useless to me thus far.  If I decide to scrap the DesignTech unit and start over, can someone give me a suggestion as to what to get?

Thanks in Advance,

Janell

radsta 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  

Janell- All I can say is that I've tried a lot of remote starters over the years and I just don't have time to fool around with design tech products. We use the Audiovox Aps-685 and love the installation, features and programming.

You must install some sort of transponder bypass to make your vehicle work, I use the Directed 555u with an additional key, very reliable. You might also check out http://bypasskit.comfor other products.

The disarmwire should be in a loom in the kick- it will go negative when you unlock the door with the key. Some Fords don't care if you connect to this circuit, or you may not have a factory alarm.

Have fun ! Steve

victor
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  

I have worked with design tech products before, but only when a customer brings one to me.  I would never buy one myself, but I wouldn't start over unless you can get a full refund.  They are not so bad that you should scrap it without getting your money back.  If it was a Bulldog i would tell you to scrap it no matter what.  You should use a universal transponder bypass module like radsta mentioned, they are very reliable and not terribly difficult to install. 

if you want a decent intro level starter unit, try the EZ2300 here:   http://www.commandocaralarms.com/itemdetails.asp?Productid=495  .  This is actually the EZ2200 here, but they have gone to the EZ2300 and you can give them a call and request the EZ2300.  This is a quality starter unit for the price. 

If you want something a little nicer you can go with the RS-560 : http://www.commandocaralarms.com/itemdetails.asp?Productid=1186   This unit has an alarm as well, but you do  not need to hook up the alarm features.  This is a great midrange unit for the price.  

They also have FM two way units, but judging by the fact that you went with an Autocommand, you probably are not interested in spending $189 on a starter.

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
janell 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

Forgive me for my ignorance or obvious lack of experience with these things.  I’m a computer geek, not an automotive guru.  Quite frankly, I think I have it easy in the computer world!

So, even if I find this pesky Dk. Green and Purple wire and hook it up according to the instructions, it won’t do me any good?  If that’s the case, it makes me even angrier with DesignTech for leading me astray even farther than I already was.  I'm going to rip it out and start over with one of the Commando ones that jrilla suggested.

Another problem I’m facing is that my boyfriend managed to lose one of my Transponder keys, so I also have to get another one of those.   That's why I've been desperately searching for a way to not need at least two keys.

Thank you all for your help!  I really appreciate it!

radsta 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

Janell- Ouch, the lost key WILL be a problem. As far as I know, you will need two original valid keys to program a new key or the bypass kit for your vehicle. Basically, find it or be at the mercy of your Ford dealer. They will probably charge you some $$$$$ to program new keys. Our local dealer only charges us about $20 US and we program them ourselves.

Don't worry about the disarm  until you get remote started and see if it's an issue. Steve

victor
dcash18 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
If you use the 555u, you could make a regular copy of your key and put the one with the chip in the 555u.  It will work, but if anything happens to the key with the chip i dont know if they can replace it without a replica.
jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

I have never had a key made, but I always tell my customers to take both when they go to the dealer.  I heard that it costs $16 with both keys, and @ $65 with only one.  I think this is because you need two programmed keys to program the third.  What you have to do is put one good key in the ignition and turn it to run, wait for the anti-theft light to turn off , then quickly pull it out and put in the other good key, turn it to run and wait for the anti-theft light to turn off, then pull it out and put the new key in and if the anti-theft light turns off just like the two previous keys, then you are done, If it makes the anti-theft light flash rapidly then try it again in a few minutes.

This is why I am sure it is more expensive with only one key.  They must have to use some fancy equipment and cut two keys and program on with that fancy equipment then you will be able to do what I described above.  I am just speculating though.  I have never tried it, but I wonder if you could just put the one key that you have in the ignition twice, and fake it out, but that can't work, that would be too easy.  There are some people who permanently bypass these and I am sure they could tell you how.  Good luck

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
DanDan 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  

Scrap the key idea and go to your Ford dealer and get the Transponder bypass kit from Ford.  It is easy to install and it works.  You wil  need two good keys to program it and thats all.  I pay like $23 for them and like I stated it is easy to install.  Easy to program with two valid keys.

DanDan

DanDan 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  

Did not realize you lost a valid key.  You will have to either purchase a new key and let Ford reprogram it or put the transponder bypass in and have them hook up there tester and program it.  Either way it will cost you money to finish your project.  Sorry,

DanDan

jrilla 
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
She still needs to go through the expemsive key making process though since her boyfriend lost a key.  I think you would need to go with the permanent bypass pf some sort to avoid making the extra keys, unless you find an extra key in which case you should go make an extra key and buy the No key Required bypass.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic