icon

Pulse to steady output, same thing?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rracerrx 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2005 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post.  I need to make a "pulse to steady output" converter.  Can I place the 2nd diode away from the relay, Instead of placing the diode across the coil in the relay?  It looks electrically the same, but I'm not too sure.  The reason I'm asking is that with my setup, I can house all the components inluding both diodes in an enclosure box.  I have placed the original configuration below my setup.  Thanks in advance for looking.

Pulse to steady output, same thing? -- posted image.

Pulse to steady output, same thing? -- posted image.

rracerrx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone....anyone???  Buehler.......Buehler.......LOL!!!!!  There's gotta be someone out there that can tell me.  Pulse to steady output, same thing? -- posted image.
schmoo 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
no,  in your setup the diode is in series with the coil of the relay.  With the proper way the diode parallels the coil. 
a true canadian eh!
schmoo 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
opps, not paying attention.  I'm  wrong,  b/c yours is taking the diode to ground as well.  It should work the same as if across the coil of the relay. 
a true canadian eh!
rracerrx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  

schmoo wrote:
opps, not paying attention.  I'm  wrong,  b/c yours is taking the diode to ground as well.  It should work the same as if across the coil of the relay. 

Thanks schoo for checking!!!!  I'll try this over the weekend.  Thanks again for your help.

aaron19121 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
what are you tryin to make you lights do?
rracerrx 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

aaron19121 wrote:
what are you tryin to make you lights do?

The US version of my car has a rear foglight that is unused.  I wired the foglights to a relay and connected normally open of the relay to the parking/brake lights and the normally closed to the rear foglight switch on the dashboard.  This way, the rear foglights are actually doing double duty.  The reason I needed this pulse to steady converter is because the foglight switch gives off a pulsed output.  This would have been okay if I wired the switch straight to the rear foglights but considering I used a relay, it turns on and off the relay to the point where you can hear it and it's probably wearing out the relay.

cowboy_xj 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

Hi.

I am an italian boy and I am new to this forum and this is my first post. 

I need to make a "pulse to steady output" converter.

But the capacitor is 10K uF 16V ???? Electrolytic??

Thanks.

Igor

rracerrx 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hello cowboy_xj,

I have made three of these "pusle to steady" converter and they all work great.  I have used a 1K uf, 10K uf, and 33K uf.  All are 16V, electrolytic capacitors because I use them in my car.  Pick a capacitor that has a voltage that is slightly higher than your application requires.  If you just need a "pulse to steady" converter than a 1K uf capacitor will do just fine.  A bigger capacitor gives you a longer output between pulses or after the device has been turned off.  The 1K uf gives half a second output; the 10K uf gives a 1.5 second output; and the 33K uf gives approximately a 5 second output.

rracerrx

cowboy_xj 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  

OK.

With 4.7K...... 1 second?

Thanks.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic