icon

intresting relay problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brianmonaghan 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Code Alarm 400-CSi Keyless module from circuit city installed on my 96 Jetta III. I do not plan to use the remote start part of this module. I got the door lock part all installed, and eveything works fine. The problem is I am unable to get my trunk release hooked up to the keyless. They keyless module gives me a wire that is connected to ground, when the trunk release button on the remote is pressed. I need a 12v + in order to release the trunk. So I got a 12v 30amp SPDT relay. I went to install the relay, but when i hook a 12v+ wire to 86 and the 12v-(trunk wire from brain) to 85 and push the button on the remote, the coil will not energize. If I connect 85 to any constant ground, the coil energizes, I can hear it tick, and I tested it with a multimeter. If i hook the + of my multimeter up to a 12v+ and the - of my meter up to the - trunk relelase wire of the brain and push the button on the remote, it goes up to 12v and then back down right when it reaches 12v. I dont understand what the problem is, cuz if i do it to a constant ground, even the slightest touch will energize the coil.... any ideas??????????
kenmci 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
You may have a five wire style trunk release. If the wire shows ground, actual ground not 0V, then you need to hook up your relay in line to keep from blowing the fuse.  Anyway, is your wire from your alarm a negative trigger or positive. If it is negative then you need to hook up 86 to 12 Constant, and 85 to your trigger, if the wire is positive just reverse, hook 86 to your alarm, and 85 to ground.  If you need to put the relay in line, which I believe you may need to, cut your trunk release wire, hook up 87 to 12V Constant, 87a to the side of your trunk wire that runs to your switch, then hook up 30 to the side of the wire that runs to your trunk. hope this helps
brianmonaghan 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Thx for the reply... What you say about 5 wire trunk release is intresting. Also the trigger from the brain is negitive. There were actually 3 wires going into the stock trunk button, not sure what the third one is... however i know if two certian wires touch, it releases so the configuration should work. I should not need to have 30 or either 87 hooked up for the coil to energize do I? I did not think I did, I wanted to make sure that theycoil would energize before i dug out all the other wires...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic