icon

False Info?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
i kind of didn't get to mention how much space I had.  He was a little too focused on the ported idea.  I wanted a smaller box and better SQ.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
Then he's an idiot. You ALWAYS focus on the car first. What good is insisting on a vented box when it won't fit? Sometimes I'm embarressed to be in this business with guys like this. JL's 12" W6V2s sound great in a 1.25 cu. ft. sealed box, don't be discuraged.
There is no such thing as free installation!
suicidecustom 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
they do sound great, it's the w7 that sounds better in a ported box
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
Ok thanks for the info.  I heard that 12W6v2s sound good in a 1.25 cu. ft. sealed box.  I wasn't sure because I haven't been able to listen to one in that size box.  Thanks guys.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
rottenbelly wrote:
(try hitting 10 to 12hz in a ported box) if u have let me know i would love to see box plans so i can experiment.
It's called a tranmission line - effectively a port attached to the back of a woofer. I have TWO of them, with resonant frequencies of (the first one I built) of 12Hz, and (the second one I built) 13.5Hz. They use RADIO SHACK 18 inch woofers, and I can do 12Hz all day long! With 50 watts per channel, I can hit 106dB at 12Hz, and while it can't be HEARD as such, the effect is palpable - and I have actually shaken dishes out of the cupboard. MAN, was my wife PISSED! Do you think that's a worthless frequency response - down to 12Hz? Nope, there IS fundamental information recorded that low in many recordings. Enya's "The Longships" is a perfect example. 36 inch kettle drums, I believe. Alphaville's lead Marian Gold released a solo album in South Africa called "Prostitute" with STEREO information all the way down to 15Hz! There are others, but that's what I can come up with for right now...
They are the size of refrigerators and weigh about 300 pounds each, BUT you didn't specify a size. As I said, vented enclosures are HUGE for a given Fs.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Nope, there IS fundamental information recorded that low in many recordings. Enya's "The Longships" is a perfect example. 36 inch kettle drums, I believe. Alphaville's lead Marian Gold released a solo album in South Africa called "Prostitute" with STEREO information all the way down to 15Hz! There are others, but that's what I can come up with for right now...

First of all Haem, what are you doing with hand built t-line enclosures with radio shack subs? I thought you were too good for that? Where's the Wisdom speakers huh? At $50k a pop, why even entertain the thought of building some thing your self?

And by the way, I think you are the only one who listens to what you mentioned there, which is ok i suppose.False Info? - Page 2 -- posted image. 

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not too good for ANYTHING that sounds good! No matter what the price. I'm a working stiff JUST like y'all!
At the time the T-Lines were built (finished the NIGHT OF the Northridge earthquake, around 11:30pm - sorry about that False Info? - Page 2 -- posted image.), our T-Line experience was only on paper. The drivers were the best choice we found with what we were thinking a driver needed to do to FIT into an unstuffed line. I would probaby use the same woofers again, they work so well. I worked at RS at the timeof purchase, and I got them for 18 dollars each, and some of my buddies, including Charles from Harman (who is quite impressed with the drivers - technically speaking), still have STACKS of them in their boxes! Their only drawback? Xmax...
As is so often hammered into people here at the12volt, the enclosure and electronics are FAR more important than the driver itself.
They cross-in at 30Hz/48dB, so they will compliment ANY system quite well, as long as that system will actually go to 30Hz, which the Wisdoms do easily. At 30Hz, there is little need for transient response. Oh, and my speakers were the 50 inch, 30K versions, NOT the 50K, 72 inch versions... and I paid SIGNIFICANTLY less than that for them... False Info? - Page 2 -- posted image. As I said, Tom is friend of mine... ahhhh, to have friends in the audio business!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
rottenbelly 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
I would love to see a picture of them if u could post  one bet it does sound awsome! i have four old kicker 18s laying around i would love to experiment with.Anyone ever know what happenr to those 30 plus inch clarions ? P.S haemp i never said it was worthless response. i have just never gotten the chance to feel anything like that. My best attemps have always been with sealed, i have had 4 15s that would still shake down around 7-9 hz in a sealed box .
rottenbellys 05 crew cab colorado.Pioneer dehp 880prs, kenwood excelon in all 4 doors. Bazooka 500 mono Jl 10w3 in coustom center console box.
haemphyst 
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Here is a link to my buddy Daves page. This is where most of our information landed. Pics of the subs are about halfway down, and the picture there is the smaller of the two (by about 4-6 inches on EACH dimension) - the one tuned to 13.5Hz...
The pictures of the mains, those are HIS speakers, mine are just the little brothers to those. He has another pair of the 75's in his closet that I am hoping someday to get my hands on... prolly when he moves to Montana!
rottenbelly 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks haemp those are awesome. I would love to build one of those t-line boxes for one of my 18s . I have never had the chance to disect one so I could see how there built. If you have any specs or diminsions I could try that would be great.I am putting a shell on my truck and would like to set one up in it.
rottenbellys 05 crew cab colorado.Pioneer dehp 880prs, kenwood excelon in all 4 doors. Bazooka 500 mono Jl 10w3 in coustom center console box.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic