icon

Carvox starter wont start in cold

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cowboyjer 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

Carvox starter only works when the weather is nice out!  When its cold, it tries to turn over the engine but it stalls within the second and then the alarm goes off.  On the LCD is says the hood is open but it definetly is not and the hood pin is functioning properly.  The tach wire is currently hooked up to one of the fuel injectors.  Like I said, it works fine when its warm but if the engine has trouble starting....it just doesn't go.

So what's the deal?  It's a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD.  It doesn't appear to have a block heater cord and it doesn't appear to start very well in the winter even with the key so I might be screwed?

Any tips?

Thanks

rdlybeck 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  

I now find that a customer has the same problem in cold weather. The hood pin alarm goes off also.

We need to find technical support.

Ryan Lybeck
"Wiring diagrams are nice but still double check with DMM"!
cowboyjer 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
I'm wondering if it just says hood pin...indicating that something under the hood is causing the problem.  I've found now that my Jeep is actually worse off then I originally thought, its so cold I can't even start it with a key now either.  At least I hope its just the cold.  So I'm assuming its got something to do with cranking power.  The Jeep wont start so when the Carvox tries to start it and it fails....the alarm must be programmed to automatically go off...thinking something is tampering with it or what not.  Why it says hoodpin...who knows.  Maybe because it was the faulty attempt at starting is what its trying to say.  Unfortuneately there does not seem to be an RPM set button or anything on this unit like there are on most others.
Johnnynguyen20 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
i got the same problems with is carvox. carvox is bull shhh.
Johnnynguyen
rdlybeck 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
I read another post about a different alarm system having similar problems.  They fixed it by putting in a new hood pin switch.  Aparently the factory hood pin switch was causing a back feed when cold for some reason and preventing the remote start.  I don't know if this is true but if we all used factory hood pins maybe??
Ryan Lybeck
"Wiring diagrams are nice but still double check with DMM"!
shodan 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think this is the case here. I have disconnected the hood pin completely and it still acts the same. I doubt that the hood pin is the problem herewith the Carvox.
jacqueslacombe 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
 HI!  just try to disconnect the battery and reconnect it  and check on the LCD if you see the same resulte  I've seen some RS that when the voltage goes to below a preset level the remote starter reset itself.  Because when the weather is cold  the capacity of the battery is decressing .  Try to remote start with another car battery and see if it fix the problem.
cocolaboy
shodan 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
This is on a 2006 model car with a brand new (2006) battery. The car starts like nothing by key and the remote starter/ alarm settings stay as programmed and do not reset themselves. Therefore, the low voltage of the battery is also not the likely cause of this problem.
It is likely the main control unit from carvox. The question of the day is are all of these cavox units faulty or just a bad batch. If its a bad batch perhaps we can just order a control unit and fix the problem if its all of them then there is no point in attempting to get a new control box.
viptime 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  

it is a problem with the main control unit for a fact. i for the same problem.

I got a Carvox CX-990  ( aka king eagle) 2 way lcd alarm a 2 month ago.  I got it installed and it was working fine. Now it got cold the remote starter will not start.  It only starts when the engine is warm. What happens wile the engine is cold is: it will crank for a second and shutoff and siren goes off at that time. 
I got the system on ebay and got it professionally installed all together $300+
I took it back to the shop they checked and rechecked all connections for 2hr
I emailed carvox and they told me that the main unit is bad and to contact this guy who will not email back and now nether dose carvox.
Carvox is junk and we are SOL

cowboyjer 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2005 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  

Yep, I'll second that last post.  I too found an email address and then they gave me the address of some guy called Mr. Jason who had a hotmail address.  The guy claiming to be the carvox rep said that this Jason could replace the unit for me if I paid for postage but I haven't heard back from him. 

Anyways....my only solution to this problem so far is that I tried setting it into the cold weather start mode one night.  If it runs every 3 hours for 15 minutes then it continued to do so all night without the alarm going off.  I guess it stays warm enough to get started. 

I too have tried the new hood pin and I've got a brand new battery in there now and it still doesn't work.  It does look like -10'C is the threshold.

Jeremy

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic