icon

2002 Pontiac Grand Am security light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
visa1966 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all, Auto mechanic in New york could use al little help if possible. Removed a Auto page rs-610 plus remote starter from a vehicle today along with a Omega integration module today as per customer request. (No-start-Towed in) Along with this I also changed the lock cylinder and key Gm) Common problem with these cars. Car starts and runs fine now but the security light will not turn off. It is on constant. not flashing. Tryed the relearn procedure(Key on for 10 minutes several times) Tryed disconnecting the battery. Positive and neg for an hour or so. Scanned computer system. No codes Present. I could not see where the installer cut any wires on the install. He/She just tapped into a few wires at the ignition switch. Mounted the control unit and integration module and ran another wire over to the DLC connector. I unplugged all of these.(Am I missing something somewhere else?). Yellow,Black,and white wires(Passlock) coming off of ignition swicth seem to be uncut and undisturbed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Car is a 2002 Pontiac Grand am. Thanks in advance to all who reply
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
If i remember right doesn't the key have to be on for like half hour or something?  If not could be the passlock system has a problem and has disabled to allow the car to run.  Best bet is check the fuses.  I don't remeber which fuse,  but I know one of them went bad on a customers car swapped the fuse put the key in for a while and the system started working again.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
visa1966 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
cntrylvr79 wrote:
If i remember right doesn't the key have to be on for like half hour or something?  If not could be the passlock system has a problem and has disabled to allow the car to run.  Best bet is check the fuses.  I don't remeber which fuse,  but I know one of them went bad on a customers car swapped the fuse put the key in for a while and the system started working again.
I went off of Mitchell on-Demad and All Data and they claim 10 minutes. This car original came in a couple of days ago whith this problem. Another garage had put a crank sensor in a few days prior to this for the no-start problem but it failed to start again a day after the lady picked it up. So she towed it to my shop. I found the security light flashing when I first tryed to start it and not even realizing she had a remote starter installed on the car, I just left the key on for about ten minutes till the light stopped flashing, Turned ignition off, then on and started car.(Started right up) This told me there was a problem with the key and or reader and suggested a lock cylinder and key as a repair. She was just happy the car started and after explaining the re-learn procedure to her, She thought she would just do that if she ever had a problem again. A few days went by and she re-thought the situation and decided to go ahead with the cylinder and key and also wanted the remote starter removed while I was in there. Thats where I am at now. Thanks again to all replys
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
actually the problem may have simply been with the passlock bypass module they used , especially if it was one of those old dip switch type units....if you put everything relative to the bypass module back the way it was... you may find that this corrects the problem without the need to replace the lock cylinder, etc.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Geeque 
Silver - Posts: 310
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
You have to let the vehicle turned off for a while, sorry not sure of the time frame. Vehicle is in tamper mode, you might need the dealership for this. I had this problem and it just went away on its own. If I remember how to fix I'll let ya know.
Gary Kline
MECP Master Technician
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
If the car starts and runs fine, but the SECURITY light is on steady, the car is in Fail-Enable mode.
Fail-Enable mode occurs when the car is ALREADY running, and a fault occurs with the Passlock system.
Turn the car off, correct the fault, restart, and the light will go out. (Simply leaving the ignition on, without fixing anything, is NOT going to shut the light off.)
Most likely, the yellow resistance wire is somehow cut, broken, or torn loose while the engine was already running. When you removed the remote start, you must have spliced the factory wires back together---check your connections.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic