icon

LEDs and Resistors?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
figstr 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all.  I just found this forum today and was reading several posts regarding putting resistors on LEDs.  Apparently there is some difference between them for resistors to be required on some.  I have used computer LEDs from Casecooler.com on my previous motorcycle that were hooked up to a switch, fuse and then to the battery.  I never had problems with them.  They were the 3 lights in a case - 2 at a 45 degree angle and the center bulb was straight out.  I'm getting ready to put new lights on my current bike and will be going with 3" neon tubes, 4" CCTs and numerous LEDs that I have left over from my previous bike, along with some newly ordered LEDs.  Yep, it's gonna be lit up like an xmas tree when I finish with it.  Anyway, what can you tell me about putting resistors on LEDs and how would I know if the LEDs I use need them?  I'm not really electronically litterate but can hold my own where wiring on 12v accessors is concerned, along with car audio.  Also, what would be the best way to wire the LEDs together, series or parallel?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

Different people will tell you different things, but its good practice to put a resistor on EVERY LED.  The resistor will merely limit current, thus protecting the LED.  The only problem is determining the optimal resistor for your application.  You should be able to find a current rating for your LED.  You should also know your voltage (max battery voltage ~13.8 - 14volts).  You can then use the forumula R = V/I  (R = resistance in ohms, V = volts, I = current in Amps).  The result will be your optimal resistor to run the LED at full brightness.

Now, if you are using a bunch of LEDs things will get more complicated.  If you search the 'net you should be able to find an LED resistor calculator that will tell you what resistor value to use, what wattage rating, and how to wire the LEDs (parallel, series, or both)

Hope this helps!

Kevin Pierson
figstr 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

KPierson:  Thanks for the info.  What normally happens if resisters aren't used?   I also did a search as you suggested and found numerous calculators with some listing the specs for each color.  However, not every site's specs were the same.  For instance, I'll be using blue LEDs and different sites give different voltage draw on them for the same size LEDs.  What gives with that?  Would them generally be the same?  I did use the calculators using the different parameters I found on different sites and the resistors range from 220ohms up to 660.  How critical is this and should I use the addage - if in doubt, be safe and go high?

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

The higher the resistance, the lower the current, so higher would be the safe route.

If it were me, I would go with the 660 ohm first, and see how bright the LEDs are.  Then, if they arn't brighter, gradually lower the resistance until you are happy (while staying above the lower limit given).  For the super bright LED shift light that KPtechnologies sell comercially we use a 470 ohm resistor inline with a super bright 3mm LED.  Although we have 5 different colors, we use the same resistor for each one (simplifies manufacturing).  The 470 ohm resistor is powered from a regulated 5VDC source, so the total current is roughly 10mA (not much at all, and they are blinding if you look directly at them). 

LEDs parimeters can vary drastically from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even from LED to LED in the same batch.  Always assume the parmimeters given to be averages, and not necesarrily exact for the LED you hold in your hand (another good reason to use a resistor even with 12vdc LEDs).  This includes the voltage draw, as all LEDs are NOT created equal.

We had a customer recently who was having problems with his shift light.  While trying to troubleshoot the problem with me he told me he was absolutely positive his LED was bad, and that was the problem.  I asked him how he was so sure, and he told me because he hooked it up directly to the car battery, and it never came on!  This is typical of low voltage LEDs when you hook them up directly to 12vdc.  Even though he said it never lit up, I would assume it flashed VERY brightly for 1-2 seconds, and then was permanently damaged.

Kevin Pierson
cowboy21 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
i have made a ruff program made for calculating what resistors u need for car installs, u you want it pass on ur email and i'll send it to u, it makes the job rather easy
modest yet effective... ECLIPSE 12", Venom 8"x2, Focal 5 1/2" comp.,Response amps x2 (580WRMS total @ 4Ohms), Pioneer TFT + DVD, good for 148.7dB

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic