icon

1990 GMC K1500, Designtech ready start 20092

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
johnny383 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
Hi I'm installing my first Alarm/remote start system in my 1990 GMC K1500 regular cab pick up I have power locks and all that good stuff. Here is my problem I have it all hooked up doors lock and unlock fine alarm works my problem i swith the auto start I have the Tach wire hooked up right on the coil and tested it with a tach meter. but when that connector is pluged in the unit and turn the key to the on/run it's fine but when I go to start my truck with the key the circut that that the connector is pluged into where the tach is going into the unit starts to smoke and burn up only when you crank the truck over but when you unplug the connector  the tach input it's fine. now I followed the book on where all the wires go and looks right to me and this is the second unit now I had got a few of these Designtech 20092. Any idea's on what I'm doing wrong or hooked up wrong? Not sure if it makes any difference but the truck dosn't have a tach in the dash from factory but I know I have the right wire on the coil white wire and have tested it at the coil and right at the connect where it plugs into the unit.
johnny383 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
Please can anyone help my truck is down now and I haven't been able to figure this out.
prdjr165 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't see that model on their website,I was trying to lookup the manual.You need to say what the wire colors are that your using from the command start and the wire colors that you are connecting them to on the vehicle.What does the car do when you try to remote start it?
What does the car do when you start it with the key?
johnny383 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

This is a Ready Start two-way remote car starter with keyless entry and auto security system #20092 I'm useing the White wire on the Coil and the green wire on the three wire connector on the unit that says hook up to the rpm. and I have even tested this wire at the coil with a tach and an with a multimeter on AC and it's the work then I tested it at the connector inside the truck and works again. but when the connector is pluged into the unit and you go to just start the truck with the key it's fine when in the run postion but when you go to start it starts to smoke the unit when the tach connector is pluged into and this is the second unit I have tired now. I went over all the wires and all seems to be right. it smoked to when I tired to remote start it. With the RPM connector not hooked up everything else works fine with the alarm and when you remote start it will start but of as would happen the starter keeps running till you hit the brake.

prdjr165 wrote:
I didn't see that model on their website,I was trying to lookup the manual.You need to say what the wire colors are that your using from the command start and the wire colors that you are connecting them to on the vehicle.What does the car do when you try to remote start it?
What does the car do when you start it with the key?

chris354 
Silver - Posts: 253
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
I also cannot find that model on thier web site.
prdjr165 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
is there anyway to program it to start without the tach sensing hooked up?Most other remote starts can start using the tachless method.
prdjr165 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
If I remember correctly,designtech models use dip switches for tach or no tach,again,check out the manual if you have one.
johnny383 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

Yes I have the manual. To be honest I don't know what a dip switch is. The manual says there is a Tach mode and an alternator mode but it dosn't say how to hook the altenator mode.

prdjr165 wrote:
If I remember correctly,designtech models use dip switches for tach or no tach,again,check out the manual if you have one.

johnny383 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

I did a Google serch and this is the only thing I can find about my alarm. here is the link. http://www.truckstuffusa.com/readystartdeluxebydesigntech.html

prdjr165 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
I'd like to help,But without access to the manual I can't do very much.The manual should show the dip switches and the process needed to program the unit to tachless or voltage mode.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic