icon

Active Crossover?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blazinls1 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah it does seem that way, doesn't it? The ONLY reason that won't be cancelling each other out is because they will be connected to an Active Crossover; their frequencies are split up so that the 8" and the 12" are playing different frequencies (no cancellation).
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
Okay that makes sense, but aren't they designed to play the same frequencies?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to learn from you guys.
blazinls1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
Right now, we have decided that we'll have only the JL Audio 3-way set (2" tweeter, 4" midrange, 6.5") custom molded into the doors of the 'vette. I actually just received the set today, check it out:
Active Crossover? - Page 3 -- posted image.
blazinls1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
luckydevil: Well, let's put it this way... you were to let a 12" subwoofer the full range of frequencies, you will hear something that you'd want to shut-off within seconds. The vocals and midrange of whatever you're listening to would sound VERY muffled. This is mainly because each type of speaker has it's specific purpose. That is why the tweeters obviously cannot play any bass.
So how does this relate to what you asked? Well, the 8" are designed to be able to play up to a higher frequency than the 12", generally. The 12" subwoofers can hit MUCH lower than any 8" subs can hit. That is just the nature of the drivers. Not to mention that both of the 8" subs and 12" subs in our system will be connected to an active crossover. Thus, the crossover will almost COMPLETELY slipt up the frequencies so that the 8" subs will NEVER play the same frequency as the 12" subs are playing. For example: the 8" subs will be set to play 200Hz down to 50Hz, and the 12" subs will be set to play 50Hz and everything down.
I may have not been 100% accurate in my explanation, however, this is basically what I have learned about this topic so far.
blazinls1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst or sedate, any advice about the new idea from you guys?
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic