icon

Finding wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hideo namigata 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 4:42 AM / IP Logged  

Hi guys, I have not so expensive digital meter without clamps. If I try to find correct wires with coupler nearby

then I can check it but if the wire is in tight place and I need to test it I need to cut the wire to test but I do not want to cut it unless it is absolutely necessary. How do you find the correct wires without cutting them? Maybe T-taps to use ? with the digital meter without clamps ? Any better way to find, appreciated wtih any advise.

Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 5:39 AM / IP Logged  
i have a stanley knife modified and a plug my meter into the bottom of it. push the blade into the wire. and get a reading that way on't need to tape the wire usally.
well thats how i do it
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 6:19 AM / IP Logged  
Use your wire cutters and gently hold the wire with them making sure not to cut it. A gentle squeeze will make contact with the wire underneath the shield. Place your test probe agianst the cutters. You need to make sure you don't touch any metal....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Powermyster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
i would do what mike suggested with a stanley not cutters. no finesse to cutters
Darren Power
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
hideo namigata wrote:

Hi guys, I have not so expensive digital meter without clamps. If I try to find correct wires with coupler nearby

then I can check it but if the wire is in tight place and I need to test it I need to cut the wire to test but I do not want to cut it unless it is absolutely necessary. How do you find the correct wires without cutting them? Maybe T-taps to use ? with the digital meter without clamps ? Any better way to find, appreciated wtih any advise.

Personally, if time permits asking someone is probably is the best thing. This site is one of them. Getting good wiring diagram is also important.   Otherwise a piercing probe is the best thing to use. Everything I have found is secondary.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Finding wires -- posted image.
Powermyster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
maybe its cos of my location but the colours a very rarely right on the diagrams that why i have to test everything
Darren Power
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
Finding wires -- posted image.
If you frequently need to probe unknown wires, something like this would be good- available from digikey and various other places.
I usually would just use a pin to make it through the insulation with the minimum amount of disturbance, but the insulation piercing test probe is a lot more finger-friendly..
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
Finding wires -- posted image.
This one is twice the price, but it's got nice extended tips to reach into a bundle, and you can just connect it to your meter with the banana jack-
Just slip the wire in and push to probe.
natsys 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
Dualsport,
Where do you get that thing?
I didn't realize that I've gotta have it until I saw it.
-Rob
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
They've got them at Digikey.com, just search for "insulation piercing" and they should come up-
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic