icon

Install accesories

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 5:20 AM / IP Logged  
just reading another topic there about speeding up installs an the pencil asked has anyone ever tried to install accessories after and install is complete. Yes i have and its messy.
I'm just wondering what other installers pratice.
i usually cut away (bout couple inches from connector) the wires that i will not use on the install when i'm prepping the harness.
so then everything is taped up and what do you know customer comes back few weeks later and wants a window module or something. so i gotta stip the tape back a couple of inches on the connector end take the ground when armed wire out and runn it to the window mod. which takes away from teh neatness.
so if i could get some other istallers opinions that would be great.
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
Powermyster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
any takers
Darren Power
dfiddy 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
I almost always run extra power and ground down for things like keyless, trunk, etc... and make it easily accessable so I don't have to go back into my install and make it look like ass. I will pull the pins in the connectors I know will more than likely not ever be used, put those back in the r/s box, usually either cut ones that might be used or run them with the extra power and ground. As far as going back into your harness for things just take your time and you can make it look like it was never touched.
Powermyster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
that goes without saying. was gonna pre run tne wires to where i think they might be used in teh future but dunno weather i should bother.
Darren Power
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  

i have a price card at the front counter listing what we charge for extras like keyless, windows, etc and it states prices applicable at time of original install.... i clean up all unused wires when i do the original install.... if a customer comes back later and wants keyless it goes from $49 to $99 because i have to drop panels and redo my wiring....

it's a good motivator for a customer to make up their minds as to what features they want BEFORE we install their package, not after.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Powermyster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
good idea kev thats for the input