the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Whats up with Code Alarm & Code websites?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
schoolphotograp 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  

I have researched and I know Code-Alarm was purchased by Audiovox but can anyone give me some insight on the questions below? I just purchased a CA-545 2way RS and CA-425 Master Module on eBay dirt cheap and I am going to install on a 2000 Suburban.

1. I cant get code-alarm.com or codl.com on the web. It appears code-alarm.com is no longer available. Also I can't find any info on code-alarm or Audiovox Alarms or RS at the audivox.com website. Where can I go to see detailed info and/or manuals on the code-alarm CA-xxx line of alarms and RS?

2. Have I made a mistake purchasing the ca-545 and ca-425 if code-alarm doesn't exist anymore?

3. Is Code-Alarm still in business?

4. Can anyone give me any info on the Code-Alarm VIC2 Bypass? And is there anyway of knowing what model numbers are used for all the different bypass units. For example I think the  Omega DB-PASS-23A is really a GMBP that has been repackaged. There are a lot of other repackaged bypass units out there. I am looking for the equivelents of the GMBP and the PLDATA.

Thanks, I hope someone can help me. Whats up with Code Alarm & Code websites? - Last Post -- posted image.

hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
Code-alarm was, at least for awhile, exclusively sold (in B&M) at Circuit City. When CC went back to DEI, Code-alarm basically ceased to exist. Since Code Alarms are (currently) just rebranded Audiovox brains, this shouldn't be a huge issue.
1. You can find Code Alarm manuals on the web at http://www.code-alarm.com. This url just redirects to Audiovox. Perhaps your browser was having a bad day, or their server was, but it's been working for the last several months.
2. Some people would say that using them at all is a mistake. My personal opinion is that, although their reliability is lower than DEIs, their features:price ratio is much higher. Your call on what's more important. (I have a DEI in my wife's car, a Code-Alarm in mine.)
3. Sort of. Not really. They were only really an Audiovox brand anyway, and you can still find new units sold on the web.
4. I've never heard of the VIC2.
Take care,
Me
hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
1. Still in business (sort of) at www.code-alarm.com which just redirect to Audiovox.
2. Some would say so. I think they're a pretty good ratio of features to price, but you definitely take a hit in reliability.
3. Sort of. They were only a brand of Audiovox anyway, at least for the last couple years.
4. I don't know what a VIC2 is.
Me
neha3000 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
The website is scrwed up a little bit. The access is a little troublesome. If i try to access from my school network, unable to connect. but when i go on to charter network it connects. that could be the problem. What do you exatly need.
kohara73 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
If you bought the unit on Ebay and it is still in original pkg, your install manual will be in there.  There will also be a user manual in the ca 545 pkg.  I've put a few of these systems in this year (from Ebay) and all have worked flawlessly.  And yes they are still in business, as I have called their tech support about a month ago.
Keith
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
Long-time Audiovox installer here.
I just LOVE that Code Alarm stuff, and I wish they were still making it! I have the 545/425 in one of my personal cars, and the same setup waiting to go into another.
Wonderful features, enough inputs and outputs for anything you could imagine, and ALL the relays you could possibly need are on-board too!
My friends at Circuit City tell me they were very unreliable......I wonder how much of that was just that they weren't used to the new product---it is entirely different from the DEI stuff they were installing before. And with all the various wires, it is a complex system, so it'd be easy to make mistakes if you weren't careful.
On the other hand, though, they do tell me that some of the brains simply fail and stop working. And you might have a hard time getting yours replaced if that happens.
NOTE: Regular Audiovox transmitters will program to the Code unit. Even though the 545 is just an LED remote, I programmed an LCD remote from a Prestige APS-996A, and all of its features work fine.
As far as your bypass module....... never heard of the one you mention. What kind of car are you installing in?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic