icon

Power door locks dont work

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dwetopgun 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a amnety pro-start 3300 remote start and alarm system into my 99 eclipse gs and everything worked fine, then the prbolem started. The door locks on both sides stopped working. I cant use either remotes to unlock them nor the buttons on the inside of either door. I can hear it clicking but nothing. I checked the fuse under the dash and it is not blown. I thought it might be the remote start but everything else is still functional. I tried unhooking the remote start alarm unit and checked all fuses and the connections at the door and checked for burnt wires but all were fine. 
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  

Try checking the motor leg wires with a DVM. Should be blue/black and blue/red in the kickpanels. They should rest at ground and go to 12volts when you hit the switch(one lock, one unlock of coarse).

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
dwetopgun 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
i went out today and found out something interesting.  If i push the unlock button on the door and hold it for 4 or 5 seconds then release it and it will unlock, when i do the same thing with the lock button i get nothing.  It is acting like it is a voltage issue but why would the lock button have no effect oneither door?
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
Don't know, test the wires and find out...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
natsys 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Mike's right. You've gotta do that test so that there's something to start with. You might have a bad switch, or you might have some other problem. Knowing what you find on this simple test will help someone on this site to point you in the right direction. Otherwise you and everybody who reads your posts is just taking a shot in the dark.
dwetopgun 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
I checked the voltage and all was fine, the wires for the lock and unlock are a negative system so that the wires have 12 volts going thru them then when you push lock or unlock they are grounded thus sending the power to the motor.  The wire for the unlock wasnt showing any power so i tested it by giving it 12 volts then pressing the unlock button, it worked but then the fuse blew.  I then unhooked my temporary power supply, replaced the fuse and reconnected the relay.  Now the unlock and lock work but both relays are clicking nonstop.  It is quiter when it is unlocked but once the doors are locked it is clicking vey loud.  So i fixed one problem but now i have another.  The relays wont stop clicking!
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, i am not understanding what you did. You say the wires have 12volts then go to ground when you push the switch. Are these the wires you applied voltage to? Thes are the switch wires, they rest at 12v and go to ground when you hit the switch. The motor legs i described before are rest at ground and go to 12v whan you hit the switch. In either case you can't just apply 12volts to any of them! The motor legs are ground until the switch is pressed, so you applying voltage there just creates a dead short, thus blown fuse. My guess now is you damaged the lock module itself and it probably needs replacing. You could always make your own out of a set of relays....

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
dwetopgun 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
The wire i applied 12 volts to was one of the 2 wires that go from the switch to the relays.  Those 2 wires are supposed to show 12 volts until the button is pressed.  The motor legs are showing good voltage.  The lock module is not damaged because now it will unlock and lock both doors, after i put the 12 volts to that wire and replaced the blown fuse it will unlock and lock now.  The only problem i have though is now both of the relays are making a loud clicking sound all of the time.  When i press either the lock or unlock button and hold it down the sound goes away until i let go.  When i unhook the wire that is for the unlock the sound goes away and the door will lock like brand new.  My question now is,  is there a way to bypass the factory wiring and go straight from the switch to the factory relays and back to the actuators on both doors to solve this problem and if so how do i do it?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic