icon

05 Jeep Liberty Rem start problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Slammed_Am 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
I've done a few already with no problems, but for some reason this one is having some issues. I didn't do the inital install, a fellow installer did, but for some rason the vehicle will sometimes not remote start..especially when it is cold. DEI Valet 561R was installed with 556uw.
When you press the buttons to remote start it, the lights will flash but it won't even crank. I went over the entire install and it was done good. No cold solder joints, transponder ring was secure, good tach signal.
After 3 failed repair attempts by 3 expereinced installers, we ended up removing the system and refunding the customers money. Not a huge deal, but just curious to know if anyone else has run into this and if we've just over looked something simple..or not so simple, but like I said, we've done these before with out problem.
05gt 
Silver - Posts: 628
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
did you have the second starter wire hooked up????? that will cause this problem
Slammed_Am 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
According to Directechs, there is no 2nd starter wire in this vehicle. Not having a 2nd starter wire hooked up will prevent the vehicle from remote starting all the time, where as this vehicle would start when it was warm, but not when it was cold (after it sat for a few hours).
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
Heading out on a limb here.....
It could be, on that particular Liberty, the 12V at the key may be dropped enough to not allow the 561R to crank. I don't know how cold it is there, but I have seen it happen on a couple cars if it got cold (-35C cold).
Perhaps you may have a bad brain (you didn't mention if you changed the brain or not.) Stick that particular programmed brain in the freezer of your shops beer fridge (in between the pizza pops and the burritos and the hot dogs left over from the last show you had). Let it freese for several hours.... then, as quickly as you can, get it into the car and remote start it (or, pick up a can of cold spray and give the brain a good shot)
Never know.....
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
05gt 
Silver - Posts: 628
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

Slammed_Am wrote:
According to Directechs, there is no 2nd starter wire in this vehicle. Not having a 2nd starter wire hooked up will prevent the vehicle from remote starting all the time, where as this vehicle would start when it was warm, but not when it was cold (after it sat for a few hours).

sorry I got it mixed up with the nissan x-terra I just did, I guess I had that on my mind when I made the post

another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
going out on a limb here too, wonder if it's similar to the Fords that have that problem. DEI said that the Ford keys put out a weaker signal when cold and the 556U, etc. doesn't relay the weaker signal as great.thus the car is cranking without seeing the "key" around/in the ignition. DEI said to place the key in the freezer while doing the install, then put it in the box last thing. 
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
I have found that if the power and grounds aren't perfect, you may get a voltage drop upon remote starting that will also cause the unit to drop out and not crank. The battery in the vehicle may also have poor connections or be at fault. If remote starter's see a voltage drop prior to crank, most will shut off.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic