icon

1997 Grand Cherokee, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dale97jgc 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I installed an Airwolf 20096 Remote Starter with a DEI 455T interface module.  The problem I'm having, though, is that I can't get the remote to program properly.  When I plug in the brain, the doors lock a couple of times, the horn honks a few times, and the lights flash.  When I put the dip switch on and hold the valet switch down for four secs, the lights flash and the dash buzzer chirps once, telling me that it learned the voltage sense.  Everything seems to work except for the remote.  When I do try to program the remote (by opening the door and turning the key ON, and holding down the two buttons on the remote), the lights flash inside once, and the remote chirps (but doesn't sing the melody like it is supposed to).  After that, the remote won't do anything.  It won't even show the status of the vehicle or show a signal strength.  I did have problems locating a door trigger to hook up to the relay  that I connected to the 455T, but settled on using the light under the dash.  Since I have two ACC wires, I connected IGN2 to the ACC (BLACK/ orange) wire, and IGN3 via relay to the second ACC (RED / black) wire (it actually keeps +12V when in the key is in the ACC position).  As far as I know, I should have everything wired up correctly.  Help please, anybody!
dale97jgc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I have fixed everything.  I don't know why the remote wouldn't program, but when I went out there today it did.  I may have a loose connection or something, so I will look into that.  Everything works fine now except for the remote start.  I have a 2-way LCD remote, and as soon as I put the battery in, it shows the vehicle running, therefore it won't remote start.  I was never able to find the tach wire, so I wired it up for voltage sense.  I believe it has programmed correctly for voltage sense.  I even tried removing the starter-interupt relay to see if that might have been interferring, but that didn't work either.  What can be causing the remote to think the vehicle is running already?  Thanks for your help.
dale97jgc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, update number 2.  For some reason the brain believes that the engine is running.  I tried swapping the brain with another one (I have two systems to install), but that didn't do anything.  Everything is wired up correctly, I believe.  The only wires I wonder about are the ACC wires (I have the IG 2(ACC)+12V wire conected to pin 85 of two relays, with pin 30 of one going to ACC1, and pin 30 of the other going to ACC2, and a constant +12V going to pins 86 & 87 of both relays) and the voltage sensing wire (I have it connected to a constant +12V wire coming off of a cigarette lighter, it's hot no matter what position the key is in).  I do have the IG 3 wire connected to the blue/black wire of the 455T.  Is this right?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have to have this back together tonight, whether or not the remote start works, and I would really hate to have to tear the dash apart again to work on it some more.  Thanks for your help.
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
did you start the vehicle before teaching it voltage
dale97jgc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
No, the manual didn't say to start it.  It just said to open the door and hood, and then press and the hold the valet switch for four seconds.
dale97jgc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
I wish I knew where the Tach wire is at, because I would use that method instead.  It says that it's located at the PCM on the passenger side firewall, but I wasn't up to trying to remove the glove box and everything else needed to get to it.
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

do you have a tach in the cluster? use that. not sure about Airwolf, but DEI will learn tach off an injector (odd colored wire).

do you program for voltage or program the started voltage?

dale97jgc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
No, it is supposed to program the voltage.  The non-running voltage is about 11.5 volts, and the running voltage is closer to 14.  I wish I knew what was going on with this thing.
mlaemers 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
I have the same problem as dale97jgc with my Air Wolf. The remote thinks the engine is running. The error on the remote is "OF ER", I don't know what they mean with that error code,. The manual says "Stop starting failed". I have discovered that if I disconnect Connector 7 from the Air Wolf brain the car will start. This is a bit dangerous because it eliminates the hood open inhibit and the brake signal disconnect. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lareado and I am using a DEI 455J. I don't seem to have any problems with security bypass. Anyone have any ideas?
Mike L
dale97jgc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

My remote is giving the same indication and error.  Anyone had this problem before and figured out how to fix it?

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic