Wiring Varad LED to Civic 2K1 factory alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AndySG 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2002 at 4:11 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I need help to wire-up a Varad LED scanner to my Civic 2001 factory security system.
If anyone knows how, please help.....
Thanks
10nesne1 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2002 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

how may wires does your scanner have?  What colours are they?  What does every colours do?  BTW, does your factory alarm system has a start kill relay or a transponder on a key.   There should be a wire for power, ground, and trigger for the scanner.  You will have to test a wire for alarm when ground out to connect to the scanner.  Or your other option are to hook it up to true Ignition wire on the Ignition harness "BLACK / YELLOW".

Have fun

AndySG 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2002 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

The LED has 3 wires, Positive, Ground and a Groung Sensing Wire (Yellow). The problem is with the factory alarm, don't know where to connect it to. The wiring diagram is at http://www.7thgencivic.com/diy/wiring.cfm

Was hoping to use a alarm indicator (when the alarm is armed, the LED will light up).

Thanks for the help

10nesne1 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2002 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
You can't use the LED wire because it doesn't have enough current to power up the Scanner.  If you know where the alarm brain was located then you can test for the gound out when it's arm.  That wire is the starter kill wire and it will have enough current to run the scanner.  Most older Civic doesn't have the key transponder and it has a starter kill relay under the dash above from the brake paddle.  Good luck
netZ 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2002 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

see if your 'factory' alarm has a starter relay kill.  you could set your alarm off and see if you can start your car with your key.  if not, then you could use the ignition key warning wire to a relay that powers the led when the key is removed. 

something like this: Pin 86 to a 12 volt source, Pin 85 to your Ignition Key warning wire, Pin 87A to a 12 volt source and Pin 30 to your power wire of your LED.
Pin 86 and Pin 87a can be connected together to the 12 volt source.  If you put your key in your ignition the LED Pin 87a & Pin 30 are not connected, when you remove your key Pin 87a & Pin 30 are connected and your LED is activated.
if your 'factory' security system does have a starter kill relay, try finding the ground out while armed wire or at least a wire that shows 12 volts when armed.
good luck!

netZ

AndySG 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2002 at 5:57 AM / IP Logged  

Dear netZ,

Thank for the help.. don't think the above works. My alarm does not have a negative output and I don't like the idea of when I'm in the car with the engine off, the LED comes on.

There is a direct output from the alarm to a LED. I am considering adding a relay to the LED so that when the LED is ON The ground is closed on the relay. Looks like I have to find a relay that can take the low voltage of the LED. Any suggestion.

Thanks again

Andrew

netZ 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2002 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

The LED should only come on with the above instructions when you physically remove the key.

netZ

Quote: Originally posted by AndySG on December 27, 2002

Dear netZ,

Thank for the help.. don't think the above works. My alarm does not have a negative output and I don't like the idea of when I'm in the car with the engine off, the LED comes on.

There is a direct output from the alarm to a LED. I am considering adding a relay to the LED so that when the LED is ON The ground is closed on the relay. Looks like I have to find a relay that can take the low voltage of the LED. Any suggestion.

Thanks again

Andrew

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic