Ignition Fuse Blowing After Alarm Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
baff2004 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2006 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

Hey All,

A friend and I just installed a Code Alarm CA-135/425 alarm on my 99 Tacoma. Everything seemed to be working fine until we went to start the car. It turns over, but will not start. We check the fuse box to find that the ignition fuse was blown. We put a new fuse in and tried it again, blew the fuse as soon we tried to crank the engine over again. We have tried lots of different things, but can't seem to find out what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2006 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
double check your connections and check ingition wires where you made them make sure they are not exposed or touching the chassis
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2006 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, look carefully at the connections you made to the ignition line and see if you might have something crossed up. You might try using a headlight or something similar during your testing instead of putting a fuse in the block, to avoid repeatedly blowing more fuses. Connect it to the terminals of the fuse block, and see if it goes full bright when you crank; if it does, then your problem is still there.
Probably start with disconnecting the alarm module from the harness and see if that changes anything.
Might have more ideas if you sketch out the connections you currently have attached to the ignition and starter circuits.
Powermyster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 5:34 AM / IP Logged  
the headlight won't be able to handle the current on an ignition circuit. plus it would light anyway being in series with ant other equipment on the circuit
Darren Power
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
That's true, but the idea isn't to run the car, just identify if the shorted condition still exists while troubleshooting, without using up a stockpile of fuses.
There's apparently a short that only occurs when he engages the starter, so there should be a visible change in the brightness of the light when trying to crank. If things are back to normal, it should remain the same.
baff2004 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info guys, i'm going out now to see what I can do to fix it. I'll let you know what happenes. Thanks again!
Powermyster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
i think i know what you mean now dual.. you don't want him to turn on the igntion circuit just crank the starter without ignition
Darren Power
baff2004 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

I went through and checked all the wires, redoing all of them. I moved the ground, and the alarm seems to be working fine except for one little problem. Now, each time I arm the alarm and then it goes off, the ignition fuse blows. I narrowed the problem down to the parking lights. Whenever the parking lights are activated by the alarm, the ignition fuse blows. I temporarily cut the wire for the parking lights and everything works fine. I check the connections and I don't see any signs of a short, and I know the right wires have been tapped. Any ideas on that would be great! Thanks in advance...

OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
does the alarm have a (-) output for PK and you hooked to the (+) by chance or vice verse.
South Side Audio
2501 S. High St
Columbus, OH 43207
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
Out of curiousity, what is the value of the fuses you're using for your alarm power and for the ignition?
Does sound like something's crossed up like OhioMike said-
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic