icon

Bad Wiring?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gipetto 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
I have a sony explode amplifier. I have a 5 guage wire running from my battery through a 100 amp fuse to a distibution block. from there I am running a 9 guage wire to my amp. I have a 9 guage wire running from my amp to the chassis for ground. That stupid amp has a protection on it. Green light is good, red light is bad. I can't get rid of that red light! Can somebody please give me an idea of what's wrong?!
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
try re-grounding or checking your ohm load.
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

well something is wired wrong or set wrong. when does this happen? all the time ? under load?(while playing music).

how do you have you subs running to the amp stereo or bridged? what kind of subs? dual or single voice coils?

how did you set your gains? that is not a volume control!

give a little more info

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
gipetto 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

All I have hooked up is the battery, remote, and ground. I tried jumping the remote in case that was the problem, but same thing. I haven't checked any of my levels though. I did run a small 18 guage ground wire direct from the amp to the battery and it worked for a couple of minutes, but then I think the wire got too hot and it went into protection again.

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  

gipetto, do you have any speakers connected to the amplifier? If so, how many? Do the speakers have a single voice coil or dual voice coils? What is the nominal impedance of each voice coil? How do you have them wired to the output(s) of the amplifier?

Bad Wiring? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
gipetto 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
I did have 2- 8" subs, single coil, I think, but it shouldn't go into protection with no speakers hooked up.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
Try connecting speakers to it, then let us know what happens. BTW, why are you running it with no speakers connected to it?
Bad Wiring? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
fingaz22 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=gipetto]

All I have hooked up is the battery, remote, and ground. I tried jumping the remote in case that was the problem, but same thing. I haven't checked any of my levels though. I did run a small 18 guage ground wire direct from the amp to the battery and it worked for a couple of minutes, but then I think the wire got too hot and it went into protection again.

first it sounded like you have a bad ground and maystill do. but without any speakers hooked to it the amp should only pull a low current to stay idle. the first thing i would do is check your ground. make sure it is the same gauge as your main pos. from the batt.

and that is 18" or shorter directly to a chassis ground. like seat belt mount. clean(scrap) all paint from metal and use correct terminals on ends of wire.

then follow the 12 volt and hook up subs or speakers. why you don't have them hooked up already?

then if you still have the light i would get the amp checked out or your wiring

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
gipetto 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
 I was running it without speakers because I took it to the retailer to have it tested, he tested it without hooking up speakers, and I just never bothered to hook them back up until I got it working. It doesn't seem to make any difference when I hook up the subs. BTW I have grounded it to the floor of the trunk, back of the seats, chassis, and to the rear seat mount.
fingaz22 
Posted: January 22, 2006 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

you wrote...BTW I have grounded it to the floor of the trunk, back of the seats, chassis, and to the rear seat mount.

you have multi ground connections? or you have tried all of those? did you clean(scrap) away paint from metal? you didn't say

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic