icon

Will my RF 500.2 amp handle 2 ohms bridge

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
parad0x 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  

Hey there guys, have another question.  I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 500.2 amp, specs are

250 watts rms x 2 @ 2 ohms Stereo

500 watts rms X 1 @ 4 ohms Bridged/Mono

2 channels.

Now, I have an opportunity to get two 10" JL Audio 10w0's, My problem is these subwoofers are SVC 4 ohms, each..  That means I have to wire these subs either for 2 ohms, or 8 ohms in mono/bridged, or I can wire it 4 ohms to each channel in stereo. 

My question is, if I were to wire these subwoofers for @ 2 ohms (bridged), and hook it up to the amplifier, how will my amplifier take it? 

I really do not want to wire it in stereo at @ 4 ohms, because I will only be putting out like 125 watts rms each channel..  The sealed box has two seperate chambers, one for each subwoofer.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
No.
Shouldn't have to say this, but the manual said 4 ohms bridged. That is the same electrical load as 2 ohms per channel. 2 ohms bridged is the same load as 1 ohm per channel. That amp simply won't do it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
parad0x 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

okay, so how do you suggest I wire it up?  As I see it, the only way to do this is hook each subwoofer up to each channel, and run it at 4 ohms, putting out only 125 watts RMS, which would only be using half of the amplifiers potential.  Am I right?

What if I put the gain lower on the bridged @ 2 ohm load?  LIke to a point where the amplifier will put out only like 400-450 rms at max volume?  Would that be safe?

boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
Now I may be wrong here, but I think the JL 10w0's are rated at 125w rms, and that amp is 125w x 2 @ 4ohms...
parad0x 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  

"Now I may be wrong here, but I think the JL 10w0's are rated at 125w rms, and that amp is 125w x 2 @ 4ohms..."

Yeah it is, but my problem is, if I do it like that I am only using Half the power of the amplifier.. It might run fine at 125 x 2 @ 4 ohms, but it was made to run at 250 x 2 @ 2 ohms, which is double the output.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
No, turning the gain down does not make the amp make any less power. This amp will self destruct if it is run at 2 ohm mono. It will also make close to 800w rms at 2 ohm mono should you try it. That is more than enough power to play your sub to the tune of crispy critters. Wire the subs in stereo and that amp is more than enough power for them.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
parad0x 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
No, turning the gain down does not make the amp make any less power. This amp will self destruct if it is run at 2 ohm mono. It will also make close to 800w rms at 2 ohm mono should you try it. That is more than enough power to play your sub to the tune of crispy critters. Wire the subs in stereo and that amp is more than enough power for them.

I wouldn't just turn the gain down, I would adjsut it so that when I turn the speaker volume all the way up, the amp will only be putting out about 450-500 rms.  Do you know what I mean?  I dont know if Im making sense, but as I always thoguh the gain setting is just a knob for adjusting the sensitivy to the RCA input voltage.. so if my amp can receive a full 4 volts from my HU, I would adjust it so taht it only receives 2 volts maximum at highest speaker volume... so that the amp doesnt put out full power.  

I just had somebody tell me this, for how to wire two 10" subwoofers 4 ohm SVC, so they see 2 ohm's on each channel in stereo mode.. is this guy making any sense, or is he wrong?

"no i don't think rf amp will handle 2ohm bridged wire both of you jl for 2ohm and make it 4ohm load on the amp.Also you can wire the both for 2ohm and run the stereo but don't bridge it in 2 ohm unless you amp say it is 2ohm bridgeable"

"go to kicker.com and go to support then look in there the show you how to wire the up i have the paper around here somewhere.it's neg-neg and pos-pos then you put another wire on the neg and one on the pos then run them to you amp but don't bridge it"

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
Your only options are wire in stereo (4-ohms per side) or wire the woofers in series for a total 8-ohm load and bridge the amp (same net effect, but this way you are certain of a mono output.)  And set your gain properly.  Any amplifier can always (always) output its max power no matter where the gain is set.  Yes, you can lower the gain after setting unity and cause it to operate at a suppressed output for average power, but transient peaks can still hit the amplifer's max.  Be safe, not sorry, and match your amplifier and woofers.
Support the12volt.com
parad0x 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Your only options are wire in stereo (4-ohms per side) or wire the woofers in series for a total 8-ohm load and bridge the amp (same net effect, but this way you are certain of a mono output.)  And set your gain properly.  Any amplifier can always (always) output its max power no matter where the gain is set.  Yes, you can lower the gain after setting unity and cause it to operate at a suppressed output for average power, but transient peaks can still hit the amplifer's max.  Be safe, not sorry, and match your amplifier and woofers.

Thanks for the reply!

I took the chance to see what else I can get, and there are these two 10" Pioneer TS-W256C/DVC, which are DVC 4-ohm subwoofers, so I can the amp 2 x 250 watts rms @ 2 ohms (stereo).  But, the Quality of these subwoofers have me worried.. Would these subwoofers have equal or better SQ compared to the JL Audio 10w0 ?  Here is a link to the pioneer website regarding these subs.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4059_153020668_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

The JL Audio 10w0's subwooers are just that JL Audio, but one of the subwoofers caps was glued back on lol.

Or get some Pioneer ones, supposidly these are the new generation subwoofers, but really what's the Quality of what these subwoofers are made with?.  These subwoofers will be used as well, but are a lot newer then compared to the other JL audio ones, and on top of that these subwoofers can be wired properly at 2 ohms per channel, so I can make full use of my amplifier.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  

"Make full use of your amplifier?"  Huh?  I suppose you mean to operate it at its max ratings?  To make full use of any amplifier you match its RMS output to the speaker's RMS input capability.  If your JL subs are capable of handling 125 watts (as mentioned above) then wiring them to a 125 watt per channel amp is making full use of both pieces of gear.  As to your question about the relative quality of Pioneer to JL, I do not know anything about the recent Pioneer speakers.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic