icon

Anyway to wire SVC4ohm sub to 2ohm stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
parad0x 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

Im posting this up for a friend, He is asking for a way how to wire this amplifier below, to two 4ohm SVC subwoofers (2 x Premier TS-W125C SVC).  He wants to wire these subwoofers in stereo into 2 ohms, so that he can make 250 watts rms x 2 @ 2 ohms..   I told him he cannot with his subwoofers, and I told him he should run stereo @ 4 ohms, which would make his amplifier run 125 watts rms x 2 @ 4 ohms.   I also told him, if he wants to run his amplifier hot he can wire it 2 ohms load bridged mono putting out over 500 rms, but it might be risky.  If I am wrong, and there is a way please somebody correct me :)   If however I am correct, please let me know as well.

Concept CC-1252

4 Ohm Stereo Power (RMS): 125W X 2

4 Ohm Mono Power (RMS): 400W X 1
2 Ohm Stereo Power (RMS): 200W X 2
Signal-to-noise ratio: 100 dB
Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 50 KHz
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.05%
Input Sensitivity: 200mV-4V
Length: 11.82"
Width: 11.66"
Height: 2.37"
Continuously variable 0 - 18dB Bass Boost
Built-in continuously variable 18dB per octave crossover, from 50Hz to 250Hz
Platinum Connectors

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

You are correct except for your advice that he could take the risk of doubling the bridged load.  We understand (I think I can safely say...) that he wants to get 'all th power he paid for" out of that amp, but....explain to him that there is a distict line between being sensible and being foolish.  Foolish is using his gear in a way it was not made to live life like.  Sensible is...well, the other way...following the basic guidelines of audio.  The sensible way is for him to match up amp to subs according to the way he wants to hear his music.  If he wants to use that amp at 2 ohm/channel power...switch to subs that have the coils that will let him do that, like two DVC 4 ohm.  Or, of course, switch to a mono amp.

The configuration I recommend for these two subs is wired together in series, then bridged to the amp. The amp will sub the signals to mono and each sub will be playing the exact same thing.  The output will be the same as 4 ohm stereo, but may have more impact.

There comes the time when you have to say, "There, you have the right advice.  Don't call me when you see the magic smoke".

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
parad0x 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

Allright, thanks for the reply.

stevdart wrote:

You are correct except for your advice that he could take the risk of doubling the bridged load.  We understand (I think I can safely say...) that he wants to get 'all th power he paid for" out of that amp, but....explain to him that there is a distict line between being sensible and being foolish.  Foolish is using his gear in a way it was not made to live life like.  Sensible is...well, the other way...following the basic guidelines of audio.  The sensible way is for him to match up amp to subs according to the way he wants to hear his music.  If he wants to use that amp at 2 ohm/channel power...switch to subs that have the coils that will let him do that, like two DVC 4 ohm.  Or, of course, switch to a mono amp.

The configuration I recommend for these two subs is wired together in series, then bridged to the amp. The amp will sub the signals to mono and each sub will be playing the exact same thing.  The output will be the same as 4 ohm stereo, but may have more impact.

There comes the time when you have to say, "There, you have the right advice.  Don't call me when you see the magic smoke".

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic