icon

pulse inverter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djreiswig 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

This was posted in a topic a while back.  It is for converting a negative pulse keyless signal to a positive pulse to use for positive triggered door locks.

Quote:

You could use two PNP transistors and a few resistors to accomplish this.  It's pretty basic electronics,   your just using the transistor as a switch.   The negative lock or unlock signal gets fed to the base of the transistor via a resistor (1K - 5K),  The Emiter goes to 12V and the Collector would now be your Output.   The Base can also have a 10K pullup resitor to 12V.   Probably a buck or two in parts.

Does anybody know exactly how to make this?  What is a pullup resistor?  How do you know what size resistor to use for the (1K-5K) and what transistor (part #) would I use for this?

Thanks.

djreiswig 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
That's what I want to do, but I thought since it was a low amperage situation I didn't really need a 30 amp relay.  I read this and thought I might be able to do it with electronic parts.  That would take up less space under the dash, and I would have less relays.  I already will be using relays for trunk release, rear defogger, and the anti-grind starter kill.  I don't know if I have room for 5 relays under the dash with the remote starter unit and all of it's stuff.  I think the circuit above will work, but I don't know exactly how to build it.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  

A pullup resistor is simply a resistor used to provide a bias for a transistor (or any other electronic part).  Basically, it provides voltage to the circuit for use as a reference.  When you apply a ground to that reference point the pullup resistor will turn in to a load resistor and you'll be left with 0vdc at your reference point. They are very useful in digital electronics to make sure you are above your switching threshold, or in this case, to make sure your transistor is turning on.

It would be easier to just use a DEI mini relay, or any other smaller, 10A relay.

Kevin Pierson
djreiswig 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
OK, maybe a relay is a lot easier.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
or a door lock relay module. they have the 2 relays built in and are just a little bigger than one relay. alot more tidy than two relays too
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  

Here is a quick drawing of what the post above is talking about.  I would definately test this before putting it in a car, as I just drew this up quickly.

For the record, I have used something like this in one car, and it was for a brake shutdown on a turbo timer.  A relay would have worked, but it clicked everytime he pushed the brake pedal in, so we went this route.

pulse inverter? -- posted image.

Kevin Pierson
djreiswig 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

I found the pulse inverter I was looking for at a local alarm shop.  That is exactly what it looks like inside.  4 resistors and 2 transistors.  Mine came with a connector that plugs right into my remote start module.  Only $8.  Lots easier than building one, but not as fun.  Thanks for the help, though.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic