icon

system installed, but not satisfied

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mpdej8 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
I did download the specs on this site for my '99 Durango, but it did not include the stock amplifier.   All wire colors changed leaving the amp and going to the speakers.    So, it was pretty much useless.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine Guy wrote:

Could also be that your used to the bad sound the factory speakers produce. Most factory speakers over do the bass so when you put in aftermarket units you miss that overload of bass from the speakers. Fact is your going to need a sub to get back that bass, those speakers are meant to be used with a sub.  Definately chuck that LOC and wire the factory speaker outputs to the amp directly.  Heck, the output from the factory HU may already be low level so you may be able to put RCA ends on there and plug it into the RCA plugs on the amp!

Check it out, see what you can find.

I agree. need at least a single sub. I also think you need to replace the oem head unit with a nice new Alpine head unit, or what ever brand you like.
Big Dave
nismo350z 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Im personal a firm believer in good quality cables. If your still running the 22 gauge speaker wire that might be something to switch out also.(not saying thats the source of your problem but just a suggestion) Keep in mind also that stock head unit vs after market head unit is going to produce much better sound. especially if you get one with a higher pre-amp outs in order to deliever a stornger signal.
tomfin2000 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2006 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

mpdej8 wrote:
Thanks Brison,  I did totally bypass the factory amp.    Everything on the Alpine amp is set correctly, gain, crossover, Bass EQ.     The sound is ok, it has highs and lows,  it just doesn't sound like I think it should.    Not as loud as the factory system.     Almost sounds like it is playing down in a well.

I know you believe the gains on the amp are set correctly, but how did you set them?  Also, what are the specs on your line level converter?.

Gains can be tricky.   The preouts on my head unit are rated at 8v, and the minimum gain on my Alpine amp (like yours) is 4v.  Based on the specs alone, that would lead you to believe that even with the gains set at the minimum, I would be clipping.  However, I actually have the gains set above the 2v mark.   Both my ears and my multimeter tell me this is correct.

Why?  Because to get a full 8v, I would need to be playing TEST TONES with my head unit at full volume.  Since the relationship between the volume and the pre-out voltage is non-linear, when I'm listening to MUSIC at normal volumes, I'm only sending around 2 volts to the amp.  If I'm only sending 2 volts to my amp with 8v preouts, then you may be sending less than 1 volt to your amp with your stock HU preouts unless your line level converter is giving you more voltage.

So what I'm getting at is that you might actually have your gains set way too low unless you've already taken all of this into account.

sroberts4927 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2006 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Yes the stock unit is your issue, I have 2005 dodge caravan with mtx 12" pro 4000 that do the same thing it sound better then stock but not good as if you change the head unit out, I have a inline converter on mine sometimes at full volume the head unit shuts down the music I have to turn off and back on and it is fine, there is something with the power output of the unit that causes issues with the converter most can on go to 30 watts input to the filter, replace the unit and you should be happy I know I was
peter griffin 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
change out that junk dodge head unit with somthing with better sound control the stock one is made for that infinity system wich you dont have any more
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
Hey peter, whats up... I was following you timewise on a couple posts. You tell one guy not to install speakers, but install subs and delete the speakers. and now you tell this guy to junk his head unit. Stock headunits, if a good one, can sound great. I would look into a Audiocontrol LC6, It will blow the pants off any LOC, and will be nice and adjustable, and will filter perfectly.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic