icon

69 Dodge Dart stereo challenge

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dohcrt 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 69 Dodge Dart with a thumbwheel AM radio. Due to the nature of this radio I cannot install a normal radio into the dash without extensive surgery. With that said I want to use an Ipod or the new Creative Zem MP3 player with FM tuner, I thought about using an FM modulator but, The AM/FM version of this radio is made of unobtanium so that is not an option.

My thought is to use the headphone output from this device and convert to RCA plugs and plug directly into an amp and use the Zen or Ipod as the control head. Will this work properly? The Zen holds 8000 songs and has an FM tuner so it could serve as the tuner, volume control and music source. The added advantage of keeping the stock AM radio in place is the stealth aspect, this is a convertible and therefore an easy targe for a high dollar stereo.

I hope I have given enough information and I value your opinions, anyone local here in Phoenix that can shed some light would be great.

Vic in Phoenix

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Do you know what kind of voltage the Zen"s headphone output produces?
There is no such thing as free installation!
dohcrt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know and can't find anything on line. I'm guessing its a standard (if there is such a thing) 1/8 headphone jack.

kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
It will work. Great, I dont know. As long as you figure out the gains and everything properly. I butchered some RCAs and have them hooked up to a shhhty old stereo output to test amps In my house, It works I just cant turn it up loud. like tcss said, because the voltage output. I doubt the zen puts out that much power, seeing how it is 2 AAs or something liek that. Also how is that zen, I was looking into one a while ago because I am anti-Ipod. Also might want to look into a RCA volume control, because from the drivers seat, you would only have control of volume by the mp3 player, which may be quite sensitive if it is being amplified alot, which it looks like it will be. Good luck
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
It will work. Great, I dont know. As long as you figure out the gains and everything properly. I butchered some RCAs and have them hooked up to a shhhty old stereo output to test amps In my house, It works I just cant turn it up loud. like tcss said, because the voltage output. I doubt the zen puts out that much power, seeing how it is 2 AAs or something liek that. Also how is that zen, I was looking into one a while ago because I am anti-Ipod. Also might want to look into a RCA volume control, because from the drivers seat, you would only have control of volume by the mp3 player, which may be quite sensitive if it is being amplified alot, which it looks like it will be. Good luck
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
Tough call then. Most HU have output voltage between 2 and 8 volts, if it falls in that range it should work fine. Spend the 5 bucks on a 1/8" to RCA cable and give it a try.
dohcrt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

My biggest problem is I haven't bought the Zen yet and don't want to spend the money unless I am pretty well assured it will work. I don't even have the system in the car yet either. I guess i could just temp hook it to a battery and test it that way?

I could use my GF Ipod to test the theory I guess, is there any possibility of damage to the Ipod if something doesn't work?

kirktcashalini; Is this what you are referring to? http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/car/accessories/remotes.htm#turbo1 it's the 2nd item on the list.

So in my initial test of this I will hook up the Ipod or Zen to the amp with a 1/8 to RCA adapter, temp power up the amp with speakers hooked up. Turn the gain down on the amp and adjust the volume on the Ipod to 3/4 or so and adjust the gain to just under distortion. Test the volume control of the Ipod if its too sensitive buy an RCA volume control? I will probably need a amp power control or just wire it to an ignition on source so its on with the key?

If it's this simple I will kick myself for not doing that before the road trip from Michigan with only a boombox.

tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
My guess if there's a mismatch of voltage it will be that the Zen's output is too low. Yes it's that simple.
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  

I have the 5mb Creative Zen hooked into my pioneer deh-4700mp through the IP Bus.  It works great.  With the volume at max on the mp3 player the volume is the same as when playing a cd.  There is no noticeable distortion, either.  It works great, IMHO

I love the mp3 player.  The touch buttons are semi-hard to use while driving though.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
dohcrt 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  

Well I hooked up an Ipod to an amp I have in another car and it worked, the volume worked just fine, I guess I will need some form of eq to adjust the sound a bit. The only problem I see is the volume got loud, but not as loud as with the actual head unit. Will an RCA volume control fix this?

I have a Concord 100x4 amp with 5 1/4 mids and seperate tweeters up front and 5 1/4 rears ( all Cerwin Vega). The volume just doesn't seem to be all that loud before I start to clip the speakers. Is this a classic case of me needing a sub? I obviously know just enough to be dangerous and would like to learn a bit more with some experimentation.

I don't need to win awards or break glass, but I do like to feel my music.

Thanks so far for all the help

The next round will be how to put rear spearkers in a convertible that never had rear speakers...

Vic in Phoenix

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic