icon

Integra Fiberglass Enclosure Version 2.0

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blufab 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
That is an awesome build. How many total layers of glass did you use, it had to be a lot. Also do you have any trunk rattlling problems or are you using sound deadening material?
justtegit 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  

thanks guys for the comments...

first to clear it up: its a 15 inch sub (Ascendant Audio Atlas 15")  not an 18"...when I said 18" ring i meant the outer diameter of the ring was 18", which is what was tough to fit in the cargo cover since there is a very limited dimension between the back seat and the hatch glass...an 18" sub would definitely not fit in an integra in the method I used...

As far as layer of glass blufab - to the contrary, i used very few.  As explained in the first post I believe - the glass portion (top part) has no sound pressure on it.  If you look carefully all of the sound pressure is exerted only on the tunnel and the 3/4" MDF box below.  The tunnel is the only glass with sound pressure on it, and since the tunel is only a few inches high, it only required a thick layer of resin on the fleece and then 2-3 layers of glass around it...hard as a rock even with only 3 layer tho.  I think i only used like 2-3 layers on the whole top as well...

As for how it is mounted - like i said the dimensions are very tight, and I have had to modify the plastic hatch liner pieces to accept the new large speaker ring as the hatch closes.  It sits in the regular hinges for the cargo cover, but all that weight cannot be supported by those plastic panels (i tried, and it sqeeks like a mother F'er, and sags the panels)...so I created a false floor of MDF for the hatch, and made an adjustable support for the box from underneath using 3/8" threaded steel rods bolted to the false floor.  Four rods bolted in vertically are adjustable to just reach the bottom of the box (about 2 inches above the floor) and transfer the weight to the car chassis.

Thanks for the comments again guys :)

justtegit 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  

Integra Fiberglass Enclosure Version 2.0 - Page 2 -- posted image.

There is a daytime picture of it all shined up with some Meguires NXT :)

dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged  
That looks really nice
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
awesome job man, i like your choice of toppings on the box and everything. How is the sound quality? I know ascendant has good products.
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
justtegit 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
sprawl85 - it sounds bitchin...with this new box I can really tell the difference in how clean it sounds...i would get some resonance from certain frquencies before i rebuilt it, but now the entire range from 125Hz and below sounds clean and tight as hell....hits pretty hard too for just 360 RMS being fed to it....Ascendant makes very efficient subs with their XBL^2 technology
hakosuka 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
it looks so clean... very nice, i like the way you finished it
teg93 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
yo man thas pretty sick, i'm wonderin if anyone here know or has seen or some like that of a complete custom fiberglassed box for the entire truck of a 2 gen integra, i'm working at visions and planning a large custom car
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  

not bad, kudos!!

rtfm
mouglie 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 5:34 AM / IP Logged  
that looks so sweet!
I shall never outrun my guardian angel - again.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic