icon

Modifying multimedia setup in 300c SRT8

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
domenic 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
I wrote something in a thread on another website but not too many replies, so thought i'd add this here. Been told this is where the pro's hangout, lets see if that's the case.....
Firstly, I live in Australia, so many of the gadgets available in USA are not yet available here, for example the Alpine 'Vehiclehub' which is coming soon but not yet arrived. This isn't necessarily going to restrict what i do to this car though, because i am fully prepared to order from the US and i have patience to get the right stuff.
Ok so i want to modify the multimedia setup of the Chrysler 300c srt8 i have coming soon. Our aussie srt8's are getting the full kicker 13 speaker setup, which is an upgrade of the 8 speaker+sub standard system in the 5.7 hemi 300c here. I don't know if any of you are familiar with the kicker upgrade but it runs 13 speakers (they count speaker/tweeter as 2 speakers) off a 330 watt amp and a 10in subbie off a 110 watt amp. Now, I'm not looking to cruise up and down doing laps of the local see and be seen hangouts with windows down and music pounding, so i suspect this setup is sufficient for the decibels i'm after so i probably wont change that at all (although if you lot think i should go all out and change everything i will consider that too), but i am most definitely looking to add in other areas. This is where you lot come into the equation.
For a start, i definitely want an in-dash screen, but the stock headunit that 300c's come with in australia does not have a screen on it. So i'm looking to order the stock american navigation 300c headunit, which does have a full colour screen but which they dont supply here due to the fact they dont have the mapping software for the nav for australia (not worth the $$ they reckon our market is too small). I'm thinking i wont run a navigation system through it, but i only think that because i'm not sure of the capabilites of audio hardware thesedays in being able to integrate an aftermarket nav system whilst preserving the stock headunit. If i can't integrate nav then i will instead just use the stock nav headunit as my in dash screen for dvd, gaming and rear camera. I am thinking this because i am keen to keep the car looking as stock-looking as humanly possible, i've looked at eclipse/alpine/pioneer headunits that have the screen pop out but for me they dont work because they dont suit the look i'm after. As mentioned, I want the car to look perfect stock chrysler.
I will list the multimedia options i am looking to install:
*dvd (preferred location is under the front passenger seat, missus can change dvd for kids in the back)
*ipod (hardwired through the glovebox, via a custom made hardwired cradle in which i place the ipod)
*headrest tv-screens
*u-connect, chrysler bluetooth phone thingy
*rear camera (to activate automatically on dash screen when car is put in reverse)
*navigation, don't care what brand, but it must run through the headunit otherwise i just won't have nav
...and possibly live tv, and stick a ps3 in the boot when it comes out.
Now this is where i become a novice, and i need your advice. I think it's possible to run a stock headunit through a vehicle hub (such as the design shown at www.alpine.com.au and click 'vehicle hub' on menu on left of screen), and run all the extra goodies through the stock headunit without having to replace it with something more hitech. Is this possible? It only seems to list Ford Falcon (aussie car) models as being able to integrate with the vehicle hub, does anyone know if there might be any probs with the 300c nav headunit and the kicker setup?
Also, is Alpine the right option? Are there any other top end brands that i should be considering?
If anyone knows more info please let me know. Although i'd prefer people with vested interests (sales rep for pioneer for example) not to just push their own product. Impartial views if possible.
What do people think about this setup? Is there another way to get all this done without using a vehicle hub type device, or is this unavoidable? Also does anyone know enough about the chrysler nav headunit to know if it will be capable of playing dvd in a decent resolution? And assuming everything i want IS possible, where can i purchase the 3rd party adaptor which the Alpine VehicleHub seems to require when interfacing with an OEM headunit? Any links?
I have a budget which is flexible, basically i can spend what i want on the car but i'm not looking to go nuts, just what i what and keep it looking stock. Thanking all respondants in advance.
domenic 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
Just further to the above, i spoke to someone who recommended i not mess around with the chrysler headunit, that i instead purchase a chrysler dash bezel (fascia, dash trim) which is for that nav unit, but instead of installing the chrysler OEM nav headunit i should get the Eclipse AVN-6600 which fits snug and gives me most of what i'm after.
Does this sound ok?
Any other suggestions punters?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  
That's sound advice.  Eclipse actually makes some of the touch screen units that come factory in Lexus/Toyota IIRC.  You'll probably have to choose which speakers you want to play and rewire, since the Chrysler uses a databus for the audio controls/ turn on to the factory amp.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
xscash 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

i dont know about this upgraded stereo you talk about....but the 300c has a CAN-BUS electrical system...this controls the stock amp and would require a adapter to turn on...they are not available here in the states yet, but a member here is sending me one from korea.  also the vss wire can not be tapped into without this adapter. quite an undertaking to do . without the adapter, you would have to bypass the amp. and because of the can-bus ...i dont know if you could just replace the radio with another stock one or if it would  need to be programed.

XS

boyztoyz 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2006 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
hey rookie got a 300c that we are working on at the moment. front dvd/cd/mp3/double din kenwood/ tv tuner. rear screens with input for ps3. rear camera as well.  and we are in adelaide  SA. if you would like pics reply . we would be glad to help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic