the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1994 Buick Leabre vats or no vats

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

Alright I have a 94 buick in and it has a chip in the key. Now the customer has gotten a quote prior to me installing a remote start, Another shop has told them it is un-necessary to bypass on  this vehicle.  Anybody have any insight on this?

thanx

Geeque 
Silver - Posts: 310
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
If it has a chip on the metal part of the key, you must bypass or vehicle will not start. I have a trick for this if you want it.
Gary Kline
MECP Master Technician
xtremej 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
I usualy wire a relay in to trigger thru a resistor but what ya got?
xscash 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

this vats system is easily bypased ....it only cuts the starter wire.  and can in most cases be found behind the glove box. ...if need be , you could bypas it there.

XS

john ogrady 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

Well folks Guess What?The Vats was introduced on  the 1986 Corvette.By 1989 Gm equipped 6 car models with this and re-named Pass-Key I with some improvements .In 1992 GM introduced Pass-Key II this had additional diagnostic procedures and still shared the same feature as rest and that is the black resistor pellet in the metal part of the key.There is 15 different resistances.You measure this resistence get the resistor and use a relay or get a by-pass module.But you definately have to by-pass this for the remote start.

xtremej 
Posted: March 25, 2006 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  

I used a vats pak from dei and a relay, I was trying to show the customer that info as he had a quote from a competitor or possible fake quote saying he didn't need it bypassed. I did offer to do the remote start without bypassing vats and he could pay for it whether it worked or not. He didn't like that version so we went with my usual install. 

Thanx for the info. Seems I always get a few that want me to  do work for them for free.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic