icon

two tweeters? 98 integra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pbkev20 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
i am installing new speakers in my 1998 acura integra. they are all 6.5. but the front have seperate tweeters. I have a pair of aftermarket 6.5 with built in tweeters can i install these in the front? then i will have two tweeters? also there are 4 wires going to the front speakers why is this dont i just need two? does it have something to do with the seperate tweeter? thanks guys
rrcustom 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
You have four wires going to the front speakers because:
Left Front Speaker:
1 White Wire +
1 Black Wire -
Right Front Speaker:
1 Red Wire +
1 Black Wire -
Note: (Wire Colors were just an example)
It should be just a simple install. Remove old speakers, wire up the new ones, and put everything back together.
Make sure you look up the wiring colors for your vehicle.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
I would NEVER place two tweeters in a front stage, ESPECIALLY if accurate reproduction is your goal. If you are looking for output, put 12 up there, but for accuracy, only use one tweeter. You have co-axial speakers, so I would place them into the door, where the woofer is now, disconnect the OEM tweeter completely, and go with it like that. However:
As for you second question: My guess would be this: Premium Sound? If so, and there is an amp, there will likely be dedicated amplifier channels for each discrete driver in the doors... 2 wires each, 2 speakers - 4 wires. Only a guess, but with you description of the four wires and a separate tweeter and woofer... yeah, premium sound system. Herein lies the issue. IF your premium sound system has dedicated channels, with crossovers built in, the co-ax speakers will NOT get a full-range signal, and you might be looking at leaving the OEM tweeters connected anyway. If this happens, you may THEN experience a sensitivity mismatch, and your whole system will likely be over bright, or possibly not bright enough. Premium systems with discrete drivers are rarely easy to upgrade... Many issues can arise, as you can tell...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
pbkev20 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
ok im going to leave the oem woofers and tweeters in there for now and get some $$ and just get some component woofer and tweeters. But i still have a question about the wiring.
when i remove the woofer there are 4 wires coming from the speaker itself. my guess is that two of these are going to the tweeter but not sure. any suggestions.
rrcustom 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
possibly because it could be DVC (dual voice coil)
positive and negative for one coil
positive and negative for the other
please be more specific
pbkev20 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
ok to be more specific: when i remove the oem speakers in the front they only have two connectors on the speakers but there are 4 wires coming from the door( seems like 2 wires the the positive and 2 to the negative).
if i buy a component system. i see that most come with crossovers? does my integra already have a crossover? when it comes to general audio stuff i have a good idea but this is my first time messing with component systems. thanks for all the help
rrcustom 
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
Alright when you say four wires...
Do you mean there are actually four wires plugged into ONE speaker?
pbkev20 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
Yes. there is a molex connector connected to the speaker. going into the connector is 4 wires.
rrcustom 
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Alright good to know.
You were right on your thought of there being two POSITIVES and two NEGATIVES.
BECAUSE it is a dual voice coil component speaker.
A standard speaker has one voice coil therefore it needs one positive and one negative
A dual voice coil needs double the power because it has double the voice coils. (obviously)
So it has two positives and two negatives wires.
Those are what the four wires are.
pbkev20 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
but it seems to me that the two POSITIVE are connected together? if what you are saying is true and my oem speakers are dual coil wouldnt they have 4 connections on the speakers?
thanks i am learning a lot from this
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic