Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help... Everyone...
duley3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  

Okay I found something but I'm unsure what.

I tested the pins on the back of the radio w/o it pluged in. The pins for the RR +/- have continuity But the other pins for the speakers do not. 

Does this mean my radio is dead? Is there any way to fix this problem (if this is it)?

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
You can't test the radio in that manner. Plug the radio in and turn it on. Set your meter to a DC voltage scale and place your black meter probe on a good ground and your red probe on each speaker wire output from the back of the deck, all 8 speaker wires. You should get an reading of about 5 to 6 volts on each wire. If you don't then the wires to that speaker or the speaker itself is shorted to ground or a power wire. If all checks out OK, set your meter to an AC voltage scale and measure from a speaker output negative to the positive. You should get AC voltage. If you don't you probably have a bad radio. If you do get AC voltage, then you need to look at the rest of the system/speakers for a problem.
sparky
duley3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

sparkie wrote:
Plug the radio in and turn it on. Set your meter to a DC voltage scale and place your black meter probe on a good ground and your red probe on each speaker wire output from the back of the deck, all 8 speaker wires. You should get an reading of about 5 to 6 volts on each wire. If you don't then the wires to that speaker or the speaker itself is shorted to ground or a power wire. .

Well I didn't get anything from the RR channel (either wire) . So I cut the wires at the back of the radio just to see if it was a short in the wires and still nothing. I'm almost pos. that it is in the radio and not the wires to the speaker.

Thanks again everyone... Time for a new one.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
when you cut those two speakers wires did you then meter them ( going to the speaker) for a short to ground?   did you get a continuity reading?  if yes, then you have a short...  if not, hook up a test speaker to the two leads coming from the radio ( in circuit) does the speaker play audio? if no, you have a blown channel, if yes then you have a DOA speaker ( probably open VC)....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
duley3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  

No short in the wires to the speakers.  No sound with a speaker on any of the channels out from the radio. The only set of +/- ouput pins (on the back of radio) for the speaker that I get continuity from are the ones for the RR . I'm sure it is in the radio.

Is there any way to find out on the board in the radio which is the RR and just get rid of that channel?

The reason I ask is because I have looked around for a replacement radio (stock) and they are too high for my pocket right now..

duley3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

sparkie wrote:
red probe on each speaker wire output from the back of the deck, all 8 speaker wires. You should get an reading of about 5 to 6 volts on each wire. .

Oops . I forgot.. I also had DC volts on all the other channels but not the RR. 

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
If you had DC voltage on all but the RR output then you have a problem with either the RR speaker wire or the speaker. Cut the RR speaker wires a few inches away from the radio and don't let them touch themselves or anything else. The radio should play on all other speakers if it is still OK. If it does, hook a test speaker up to the two wires for the RR channel off the back of the radio. If it plays, then try a new RR speaker or new wires to it. The speaker wire may not show a ground to it depending on its configuration. The reason you are not getting DC voltage is because something is likely grounding that radio output out. It could still be the radio is defective, but something likely caused it to go bad and you need to repair that. It is possible to get the radio fixed, which will be cheaper than replacing it.
sparky
duley3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

sparkie wrote:
If you had DC voltage on all but the RR output then you have a problem with either the RR speaker wire or the speaker. Cut the RR speaker wires a few inches away from the radio and don't let them touch themselves or anything else. The radio should play on all other speakers .

I thought of that already and tried it still nothing (voltage or sound) . That is why I'm sure it is in the radio.

I wish I could just get rid of that channel in the radio..

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic