Correct Diodes for Microwave sensor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jasonb61 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I am about to install a Microwave sensor for my 92 Dodge dakota (ya, I like to leave my windows down in the summer time and theft is getting common around here)
Anyways, I have a Mannix SM700 2-way paging alarm and I want to install the sensor by tapping into the Shock sensor input... In order to do this correctly, I need diodes to keep the current from back-feeding into either sensor when one or the other is triggered...
I bought some diodes from Radioshack and here are the specs on them...
Absolute maximum ratings: 77 deg. F (25 deg. C)
Peak inverse voltage (PIV): 1000V
Forward voltage drop (Vf) at If: 1V
Forward current (If): 2.5A
Max. Surge current (16ms): 80A
Reverse current at PIV: 1µA
I have never really used diodes so I dont know if these are too weak or what... I dont want to have to deal with replacing them if they are and they burn out!
I'm not sure about the output on the trigger wire from the microwave sensor... it couldnt be over 12V im sure...
Anyone know where to find the instructions on hooking up the sensor to a Mannix SM700? I know when the mannix site was up and running, they had the proper diode listed... Ah well.
Thanks,
-Jason
Jasonb61 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
By the way, these are Silicon Rectifier Diodes (or it says so on the package)... The # on them is 276-1114
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 3:57 AM / IP Logged  
I use N5001
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
That absolute maximum rating of 77 deg. F must be a typo, that should be the temperature that they did their testing.
They ought to work fine, the 1000V and 2.5A is more than enough for handling sensor signal isolation.
Forward voltage drop of 1V is a bit higher than the usual stuff, but I doubt that'll be a problem here.
Jasonb61 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
hehe ok... it may be a typo but I copied it exactly from the back... I'm scared of messing them up when I solder... Eeek.. but I'll test them to make sure... How long to these things last? Is it somthing I may have to replace in a year or so? Under normal operation of course, no voltage spikes or anything... i'm just scared of my sensors not working and me never realizing it.. GOSH i hate being a perfectionist lol!
Brian78675 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 2:04 AM / IP Logged  

Diodes usually don't go bad unless you get a defective one or you overload it. 

The forward current of 2.5A or 2500ma should be overkill for a sensor that will pass I'm guessing 150 to 200ma.  It should never fail unless it is defective, this doesn't happen much from my experience. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic