icon

Viper 791xv, 2 LED’s, Only One Working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BChillin83 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 6:59 AM / IP Logged  

ok so today I thought I would try hooking up an extra red LED  that I had laying around ( I forget which model alarm it came from ) with my bright blue LED that comes with the Viper791xv. 

On the bright blue LED from the 791xv theres a blue wire and a red wire. On the red LED that I had laying around theres also a blue wire and a red wire. I tapped the red LED wires into the wires that are on the blue LED and matched them up. Blue wire to blue wire, and red wire to red wire.

I arm the alarm but only the red one flashes. The blue one flashed before the red one was even hooked up.

Reason why I want two LED's is so I can have one ( the red one ) up in the corner of my windshield where my headliner and windshield meet. The other ( the blue one ) will be inside the car mounted near the radio.........

So my question is why is only the red one blinking and not the blue one?

How do I get both to blink.......?

mobilecustoms 
Silver - Posts: 397
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
you have to wire them in series
BChillin83 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  

mobilecustoms wrote:
you have to wire them in series

Just double checking........................should I hook them up like this??

Viper 791xv, 2 LED’s, Only One Working - Last Post -- posted image.

mobilecustoms 
Silver - Posts: 397
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
no take the red wire of led 1 and hook it to the blue wire of led 2. take led 2 red wire and hook it to the blue of led 1 and plug it into the led port of the module. You need to cut off the connector for one of the leds.
tbassuva 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  

The reason the blue one doesn't work when you have both in parallel is because the blue one requires more forward voltage than the red one, and if you wire them in parallel only the red one is getting enough voltage to emit light. 

Putting them in series MAY work, but it's going to depend on the combination of LED's and the alarm output circuit.  Probably worth a try, it certainly won't hurt anything.

Your other option is to use a relay.  I can't remember for sure, but I believe DEI alarms pulse 0V on the LED blue wire, which you could use to drive a relay.  The 2nd LED, in series with the appropriate resistor (200-600 ohms would be a starting guess), would be the load applied to the relay.  I wouldn't recommend a normal DEI relay for this purpose, something smaller that draws less current would be more ideal.  If you know what you're doing, check out www.mouser.com, if not, perhaps Radio Shack can help.

Knowledge is power.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2006 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
I remember reading in the Viper install manual not to mix red and blue leds.   Multiple (up to 5 in series) of the same color is ok.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic