Buy Viper 791xv and have it installed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rob422 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I found an authorized viper installer in my town and they want $400 to install a 791xv.  I was wondering though if i could buy the alarm myself for cheaper and have them install it for $150 and still get the Viper warranty. The place said that is fine but i just want to confirm wheather i get the lifetime warranty or not.  THanks

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
The dealer said that they would warranty the Viper if you did not purchase it from them? I find that odd, most dealers will not warranty an item that you did not purchase from them. If you are buying a Viper over-the-counter, it will not be warrantied by DEI, Viper is a protected line, and DEI will not offer any support to a protected piece that is sold sideways.
My 2 cents.
rob422 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
But why not, i thought the thing with the warranty was that DEI wants it to be installed by an authoized place.  Who cares where i got it from as long as it is brand new.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
DEI cares, Viper is a protected line, this means that not every dealer in town is allowed to sell it. There are territorial restrictions as well, meaning that 2 dealers in the same area cannot carry Viper. Now, DEI offers several lines and most products offered are available with a different label on the box (ie...Avital 4400 and Hornet 564T). Typically a shop would have to be 'qualified' by DEI to carry their flagship line and to use the Viper name. There is a contract in place between DEI and the dealer who is selling Viper products. Whoever is selling you the Viper product is in breach of contract with DEI if they sell it over the counter, which in turn voids the warranty on the piece you buy from them.
rob422 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
In that case im better off installing it myself for $180 than paying $450 and having the warranty.
Twelvoltz 
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
That is a call you will have to make for yourself. There are plenty of manufacturers out there that will warranty a do it yourself job, but I have not seen any that are the same quality as a DEI piece. This forum is the perfect resource for the do it yourselfer!
nipplz 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
many people purchase viper auto starts off the clearance rack at best buy and bring them to my shop to have them installed.  for any install where the customer brings in thier own electronic starter i charge them $50 an hour and offer no warranty. i also charge for any bypasses and door lock controllers.  i could see how this shop would justify $400 install.  with the clearance modules off of the best buy shelves, there always seem to be somthing wrong with them as if they were supposed to be sent off for warranty work but were not.  i have checked on what best buy charges for these clearance items and for a 791 they want what i charge installed if you purchase it from me, kind of funny. 
rob422 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
Probably the best thing to do is just buy it from the shop and do everything the right way to avoid any future hastles.  I guess its not really worth saving a few bucks.
88vette 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

If it is a simple to do car and you have mechanical and electrical knowledge then read up on the installation guides and wiring diagrams for your particular car.

See if after reading all the tech stuff you feel comfortable taking on the task.  Do you have any friends who have installed one that could help?

Here is a link to download the install and owners manual for the Viper 791xv.  Just click on the free download when you get to the page. Both are in the zip file.

http://rapidshare.de/files/17088039/Viper_Manuals.zip 

If you don't feel like it's something you want to take on then find an authorized Viper dealer (Best Buy or where ever....) and get the install done w/the warranty.

Good luck.

wiretapper 
Copper - Posts: 166
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2006 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

rob422 wrote:
< language=>postamble(); But why not, i thought the thing with the warranty was that DEI wants it to be installed by an authoized place.  Who cares where i got it from as long as it is brand new.

DEI's warranty is for PURCHASE AND INSTALLATION from an authorized DEI dealer.

That's why not.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic