piezo will need more than the 200mA
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
firebert 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 4:44 AM / IP Logged  

ok great, thanks guys!

BTW do i need to use diodes on the trunk poper and piezo? For the windows, do I uses a diode on both Gnd when alarm is armed and channel 6?

firebert 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 5:18 AM / IP Logged  
another question,, about using diodes on a ground switched diode for relays. is it necessary? Assuming pin 85 is connected directly to the battery and 86 to a (-) channel output. Would it be necessary to put a diode between the battery and the relay? I know the reason diodes are used is to redirect a energized pulse to ground and away from the switch, but in this case it is ground switched and the gnd can only handle 200mA..
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
Forgive my ignorance, but GWA?
Diodes are used to prevent the flow of current. The door triggers will be diode isolated to prevent feedback to the BCM. I am not sure what you are asking here. If your vehicle requires it, then you would need them, or if there is a risk of a device feeding back into another you would need them.
Is this close to answering what your question was?
Keep us posted.
firebert 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

Hello. is a diode necessary when using a relay across a ground switched relay? The +12V constant will be drawn directly from the battery but the (-) 200mA channel output will be turning the relay on and off.

I know diodes are there to prevent votage spikes back to the switch and send it off to gnd, but the gnd IS the switch now and it can only take 200mA

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
The diode is used to prevent current from flowing. If there is no risk of current flowing then there is no need for a diode.
Hope this helps.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

The diode will help protect the (-)200ma output of the module driving it.  If it is a transistor based output (which is likely at 200mA) then it is a good idea to put a diode across the coil to bleed off the current created by the collapsing magnetic field generated by the coil.

Most electronics these days have the diodes built in, but it won't hurt anything to install them.

Kevin Pierson
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, always good practice to put a diode across the coil if it's being driven by any electronic modules.  If you're using a mechanical switch or something like that, you can dispense with the diode, since the voltage spike from the relay coil won't harm anything.

Just make absolutely SURE you get the polarity correct when you hook it up though; or you'll end up blowing the very module you're trying to protect- 

(In your case, the diode goes across the coil's terminals 85 and 86, with the striped cathode end connected to your 12V supply, and the anode end connected to your control module side.)

firebert 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
dualsport wrote:

(In your case, the diode goes across the coil's terminals 85 and 86, with the striped cathode end connected to your 12V supply, and the anode end connected to your control module side.)

and the diode goes before the relay on the + side right?

ie (+12V constant  > Diode > Relay > - channel output/Brain )
or after
ie (+12V constant  > Relay > Diode > - channel output/Brain )

oh i see so the diode help bleed off the voltage spike as well..

firebert 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

Car: 96 Corolla

Alarm: Clifford Matrix 3.5

Is there a special method of wiring my alarm when I have a starter kill relay?

the starter kill relay is wired as follows

pin 85 - (-) Gnd when alarm is Armed (orange)
pin 86 - (+) Accessories wire (blk / YELLOW)
pin 30 - Starter switch side (blk/wht)
pin 87A - Starter motor side (blk/wht)

Now the satellite from the Matrix hook up between the starter wire as well.. do I just hook it up inline with the relay? Or parallel to it?

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic