the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2002 GMC Yukon Stereo, Replace Speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sab0276 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2002 GMC Yukon SLT non-Bose. How many, and what size speakers do I have? What would you recommend I replace them with?
TIA.
-Scott
2002 GMC Yukon SLT non-Bose
Pioneer AVIC N3
doibuy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
6 1/2" Componets in front doors, 5 1/4" speakers in rear doors, and 3" in rear pillars.  As far as which brands, depends on how much you want to spend.  Infinity are nice and are fairly affordable.  If you're looking for better ones, Diamond Audio makes great speakers, or Boston, or MB Quart
sab0276 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks. I'm looking for good, but inexpensive ones. About $100/pair or less. I tried looking at the front and it looks like there are 2 speakers in each front door.
Anyone know of a good place to find info on how to remove the door panels and take apart the dash and interior?
Thanks.
-Scott
Pioneer AVIC N3
sab0276 
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
Crutchfield says that 6 3/4" speakers will fit in both front and rear. They recommend the Pioneer TS-A1781R speakers. Will those fit, and are they good speakers?
Also, I couldn't find any 3" speakers. Will regular 3.5" speakers fit in the rear pillars?
Thanks for the help.
-Scott
Pioneer AVIC N3
wetchicken 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
I have a rear sub in my 2002 Yukon and I am wondering if it is powered from the head or an amp near the sub.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2006 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
The amp is behind the same trim panel that the sub is behind.
sparky
wetchicken 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
Excellent. That will make it easy to upgrade.
Thank you.
sab0276 
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  

Is there a place online that details how to take the trim apart?  Or maybe like a Haynes manual or something? 

Thanks.

-Scott

Pioneer AVIC N3
sab0276 
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
What size is the sub? What are you replacing it with?
-Scott
Pioneer AVIC N3
sab0276 
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
Just as an update for anyone searching for this information later or something.
The front and rear doors will fit 6 3/4" speakers easily. The Pioneer TS-A1781R 6.75" 4-way speakers fit perfectly. The fronts needed to be screwed in, while the rears just re-used the stock mounting hardware.
A 3.5" speaker will fit behind the rear pillars. I used Pioneer TS-A878 3.5" 2-way speakers. They have to be mounted in the hole in the metal instead of to the plastic trim piece. Just cut the extra material away where the stock 2.25" speakers mount on the plastic trim piece. Also, the rear pillar speakers are wired in series from the factory. If they are not both connected, they won't work, unless you run your own wiring.
The rear sub is an 2ohm 8" speaker. The stock 8" speaker enclosure is roughly .375 cubic feet. I used an Infinity REF850W 8" sub to replace the stock sub. The Infinity only needs a .350 cubic feet enclosure. It sounds really nice once it has enough power going to it (stock amp isn't really powerful enough for it).
There are some tweeters in the front door panel which I don't use anymore since I am using co-axial speakers with tweeters.
Hope this helps.
-Scott
Pioneer AVIC N3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic