Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silver_gs 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
geepherder wrote:
[/quote]

Chapter 8 goes over the audio controls on the deck.  Scroll down to where it says "Using the high pass filter".[/quote]Thanks!

geepherder wrote:
http://www.zapco.com/prod/comp_prods/documents/C2K_Contents_Manual_B.pdf  Scroll down to where it says 4 channel amp controls.  The different controls are numbered, with descriptions of what each control does on the next page.  The front and rear frequency range buttons should both be pushed in so that you're on the crossover high range.  The pictorial will give you an rough idea of where to set the crossover frequency knobs front and rear, which you can check with your test tone cd. 
Thanks, I will go over this tonight and take some pics after making the connections and will post them up and get confirmation before I connect power.

geepherder wrote:
You connect the tweeters to the speaker outputs.  If you use the front inputs for the tweeters, then you'll connect them to the front speaker terminals.  If you use the rear inputs for the tweeters, you'll use the rear speaker terminals.
I am confused about this statement of yours.....

Right now the AVIC-D1 has three speaker outputs - Front, read and sub outputs.   From what I understand about this, I would need to connect the front input wires from the HU to the amp, but am still confused about how to split that to the tweeters and front speakers.....

geepherder wrote:
I'm not telling you it has to go where the strut tower brace is.  Why do you feel it must be secured to the rear deck?  Just place it in the trunk and secure it in place.  It doesn't have to go all the way back.
So it does not necessarily have to be facing the stock sub hole?  It can be anywhere in the trunk and still be effective?  Please clarify.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

I thought you were asking where to connect the tweeters to the amp.  You're actually asking how to get front signal to both the tweeters and midrange, correct?  If so, buy some y-splitters to plug into the preouts on your deck, which will basically give you two sets of front outputs.  Then run your cables from those to there to the amp.  That will ensure both front and rear inputs on the amp recieve the same signal from the front preout.

That's right, your sub mounting hole does not have to face the stock sub hole.  Bass is more or less nondirectional, which makes it tough to tell where it's coming from.  (Just listen to a nice home theater setup and try to pinpoint the sub location in the room.)  I would however remove the factory sub to make it easier for the bass to enter the passenger cabin.  You can also play around with the positioning of the box to see what gives you the best response.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
silver_gs 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

1. Hi geepherder, if you look at the specs of the tweeters, it says that they have to be used with passive crossovers only.

Do you know what type of crossover is in the Zapco amp?  I sure hope it is not an electronic crossover

2. On the connections of  the 4 channel amp - the ones going out to the speakers - there are 4 pairs of connections - two for the front and two for the rear.   

Since the impedance of my midrange speakers is 8 Ohms and the tweeters is 7 ohms, should I be bridging both connections for at least 4 ohms?

I specifically mean that for instance when you look at the first 2 pairs of connections from the left which I will connect to my front midrange speakers - should I be connecting two wires (negatives of both speakers), to the left most connection and two wires (both positives) to the right most connection?   Is that what will cause them to be bridged at 4 ohms?

geepherder 
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

The amp uses electronic active crossovers, not passive.

No, bridging like you propose to do would give you mono sound.  There's nothing wrong with running the amp at 8 ohms.  By your questions, I can tell you still don't have a full grasp of the basics yet.  Until then you should not attempt an install of this magnitude.  Look over www.bcae1.com and read through old posts on here.  Rather than trying to rush into this at once, heed the advice that I've already given you.  Either have a knowledgable, experienced friend help you, or pay someone else to do it. 

silver_gs 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2006 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
geepherder wrote:

The amp uses electronic active crossovers, not passive.

No, bridging like you propose to do would give you mono sound.  There's nothing wrong with running the amp at 8 ohms.  By your questions, I can tell you still don't have a full grasp of the basics yet.  Until then you should not attempt an install of this magnitude.  Look over www.bcae1.com and read through old posts on here.  Rather than trying to rush into this at once, heed the advice that I've already given you.  Either have a knowledgable, experienced friend help you, or pay someone else to do it. 

Thanks geep - I spent some more time on bcae1.com last night and I think I have the basics down now.

I also called Zapco directly and spent an hour on the phone with them asking them a bazillion questions and have nailed down exactly how to wire up the amps and speakers. 

There is also a local Zapco dealer about 10 mins from where I live (I didn't know that until I had called Zapco in California), so will go there to have them look at the system before I power it up to verify that I have wired up the system correctly.

I have one final question.  I have capacitors that came with my tweeters with express instructions to connect them to the tweeters if the tweeters are to be connected to electronic crossovers like on the Zapco's.   I am guessing that I will connect each capacitor to the positive (red) wire?

geepherder 
Posted: June 08, 2006 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds good.

As far as the capacitors, it makes no difference which wire they're placed on, however most manufacturers place them on the positive lead (which makes identification easier if you're not sure).

silver_gs 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks geepherder!

One more question - where can I get a test tone CD from and how exactly can I use it to tune the system?

I am doing my install tonight and will post up pics next week!  Thanks very much for all your help geepherder!!

silver_gs 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
Never mind that last question.  I found one on ebay.  Just ordered it.  
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic