the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

HT speakers finished w/ pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 5:19 AM / IP Logged  

Using the hand to touch is ultra important.  If your fingertips feel it, it will be seen.  Good suggestions, Steven, and I like that flexible rack system.

Thanks, Rob.  I made the crossover mounting area to allow the circuit board to be easily pulled out.  This speaker has top and bottom vented enclosures and a middle transition area that gives it the overall height and form.  So into this middle area I put the crossover board and kept the back open for easy access.  The board is made from the the hard fiberboard found on clipboards.  I did the wiring through the enclosure to allow enough play so that the board can be lifted up and pulled out enough to unhook the speaker wires.  Then it can be pulled out completely away from the cabinet and over to the workbench.

HT speakers finished w/ pics - Page 2 -- posted image.

The crossover cubby is completely sealed off from the rest of the cabinet.  And then the inside of it was painted black before the final assembly.

I labelled the crossover boards for the speaker connections and used bullet connectors, which are also used for the crossover-to-amp speaker wire hookup.  There's a 1/4" lip on the back of that cabinet that keeps the crossover board from sliding out.  Pictured above are the two completed 3-way crossovers.  I used Jantzen 18 ga. coils, Dayton poly caps and teflon siver-coated 16 ga. connecting wire....nice to solder.

To save some expense on this crossover layout, I do have a couple of n.p. electrolytic caps in place that are paralleled with poly caps.  Those can be upgraded in the future.  And resistors can be traded out if I want to experiment with the padding.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  
Wauw Stevdart, did you do all all the works? painting and everything? wauw, Stevdart your are a genius they are very sweet. i wish i can do something like that one day.
Shaking The Neighborhood
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  

You can, Aruman!  You're hanging out at the right place.  This forum is basically where I learned most of what I know, or got tips to links, products, etc.

I did this project from scratch, from concept to the finished product.  I even made a safe work enclosure within the laundry / utility room (thanks to my wife for allowing it), with filtered air and a constant fan exhaust.  The fan came off the bottom of an old discarded table hockey game (you've seen them), and the filtered air is courtesy of Mr. Hoover pictured here.  Kept all the MDF dust out of the house and makes a great place for painting so you're not subject to the dust and pollen of painting outside.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
Are we compensating? HT speakers finished w/ pics - Page 2 -- posted image.
Seriously, man! Those look incredible! Beautiful work! GREAT driver choices as well! With components like those they have to sound good as well! Enjoy those, I know the effort involved in designing, building and setting up big systems like that!
AWESOME job!
GO, BAKERSFIELD CONDORS! (Sorry, we are tied with Fresno 3 games each in the Kelley Cup, and we BEAT 'em last night on their OWN ice... something no other team has done all season! I'm a little excited!)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
Hey looks really good.  Out of curiousity what did this project end up costing you?  Materials and all?
stevdart 
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks, haemphyst.  You know how much of my accumulated knowledge and inspiration can be directly attributed to you.  And I appreciate it!

zhalverson, that's something I purposely didn't keep tabs on for one reason:  if or when my better half gets into regret mode and starts harping on expenditures (not that she ever will ;), I couldn't lie about the total cost if I don't know it!  Nickel and dime your way through...that's the way to do it.  But if I were to to a quick guesstimate...for each one of these two speakers I think I have about $250 in materials.  And that includes the mids which were bought so cheap they were nearly free.  I used ten coats of red gloss and 6 or 7 coats of the more expensive textured black, which amounted to about $30 per speaker.  Stuff adds up.  If I consider associated tools I added to do them and the cost of the rest of the HT sound system it would get to a point I'd rather not think about.  But still, it costs considerably less than what you could buy commercially when comparing to something of equal quality.  You just have to love the "overcoming the challenge" part of building it. 

And the best part is that there is no other set of speakers in the world like them.  HT speakers finished w/ pics - Page 2 -- posted image. 

P.S. to the earlier post, I did an official weigh-in.  51 lbs.

zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

Ok.  Didn't want to put you on the spot or anything just curious.  I'm a big fan of doing things yourself and building your own towers is definately taking it to the next level.  Way to go.  I think I'll stick to car audio for now but someday maybe when college is over and I have a nice place of my own I would like to give something like this a try.  I guess I will know where to go for help.  Gotta love the12volt.com!

kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
51 pounds a piece is not as much as i would have guessed lol. Again, awesome job.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
stevdart 
Posted: May 06, 2006 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

They probably look more imposing because of the camera angle I used, which was at about viewing height of 38 - 40"..and the weirdness of two-dimensional pics on the internet.  If you break it down, the largest woofers in these are the same size as the front component mids in your car, at 6.5".  The net enclosure spaces are 5.8 liters (0.2 ft^3) for the top mids (combined) and 22 liters (0.78 ft^3) for the bottom woofer.  In between, the speaker narrows from 10.5" to 7.5" at 12" deep.  Those dimensions include the use of 3/4" MDF.  The very top of this speaker is barely over an inch deep.

But you can almost play these without a sub, the vented midbass woofers reach so deep.  I experimented with them today and dropped the active crossover on the receiver down to 60 Hz.  I'll be doing some experimenting between that and 80 Hz.  The Fb of the 6.5 woofer enclosure is built at 70 Hz.  Fb of the mids is 135 Hz.  The midbass and mids cross over at 500 Hz. 

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2006 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
I hope I don't tick Dyohn off too badly by resurrecting a post burried on page 4, but I just saw this thread from my lurking chair and had to comment. :-)
Stevdart - they look fantastic. Really, they look amazing. So often DIY efforts look like just that - DIY efforts. Your effort, on the other hand, looks commercial. Well done.
I especially like the accessible crossover compartment and the odd shaped midrange chamber. Good for sonics and practical, too!
I still have unfinished crossover boxes hidden behind my speakers from my 2641 project. A built in and easily accessible compartment for the XO would have been perfect; well, there's always next time.
I love the way they look in your listening room / HT.
What preamp / amp combo are you thinking of upgrading to?
Cheers!
Karl
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic