icon

Still having trouble 96 door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dream Theater 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2003 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
I started with the 5 wire diagram on this site.I wired everything to the two relays correctly.Then I found the two wires for the door lock & unlock (pink w/ purple strip and orangew/ purple strip) I found them in the kick panel I noticed a white plug that the wires went through how do I determine where the wires are coming from - the switch or motor? Anyways I used those wires and connected them. Then when I try to connect the 12 volt wire it sparks and if I try to use the switch on the door I blow fuses sometimes under the hood? I am using the same 12 volt wire that I used for the remote starter, would that make a difference? Please help or I'm going to lose more hair tonight!
Thank You!
Dream Theater 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2003 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry It's a 96 Dodge ram i forgot.

Thank You!
Ohmz 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2003 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
what are the wires testing when you lock and unlock with the switch? You probably have to do a 5 wire reverse polarity if you are blowing fuses
My Personal Installer Note: Connectors are easy, neat, and professional. But do you know how to crimp properly?
Dream Theater 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2003 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

Ohmz this is all new to me, I did two pontiacs and they worked perfect. I wired the dodge like the 5 wire diagram they provide is that reverse polarity if not how would I go about connecting it? Thanks for responding!

Thank You!
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2003 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

Temporarily splice the lock and unlock wires back together, but do not insulate them while making sure they do not touch anything. Now measure each lead with your meter and note your findings during lock, unlock, and at rest.

Undo your temporary splice only on the lead that showed 12V+ during unlock (Pink/Purple) and try locking and unlocking the doors with the switch in the vehicle. They will do nothing if you have a 5 wire system (which you should have). Now if you do have a 5 wire system, with your meter, find the side of that lead shows 12V+ when you attempt to unlock the doors with the switch. This is the switch side and should be connected to terminal 87a of the first relay as shown below. The other side of this lead will be the motor side and should be connected to terminal 30 of the same relay. Repeat this process on the lock wire (ORANGE / Purple) to determine the switch and motor sides and connect to the second relay as shown below.

Still having trouble 96 door locks -- posted image.

Dream Theater 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2003 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
I will do that and see what I come up with. If I do this right and still have a problem, does this mean I might have zapped my keyless door lock system. It still starts and I have the parking lights blinking when you pretend your unlocking and locking the truck. 
Thank You!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic