the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

ported vs. sealed boxes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jt824 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  

I wanted to install a 15 inch sub in a ported box on my boat.  My installer advised me that with the sub I wanted, I would be better off with a sealed box and double the power that is sent to that sub.  He told me doubling the power going to that sub in a sealed box would give the same output compared to a ported box with half the power.  Also, by using the sealed box application the sub would not have to work as hard compared to the ported box.  He said with the ported box, the sub would be working much harder or near it max and the sub in the sealed box would not.  Since I will be boating in Arizona where temps hit 115 I thought that made sense.  Does anyone agree with this information.

I did read through the various configurations about sealed boxes, ported boxes on this site but I couldn't quite figure out if my sceanario fit.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 4:27 AM / IP Logged  
There are way too many variables to make statements like that.  For instance, what if you are already at the peak power handling for that sub in the sealed enclosure, and aren't able to doube the power?  It also ignores stuff like BL and power compression.  I disagree that the sub has to work harder in a ported enclosure.  You do have to be careful as it is easier to unload the subwoofer below tuning.  But the power levels are lower due to the increased efficiency. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic