icon

Car audio as DJ system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2006 at 3:49 AM / IP Logged  

Was just curious as I am a DJ by night and installer by day if it were possible to make some DJ speakers from some car speakers.  I was thinking something along the lines of using some 15" L7's, not really sure.  Was just around searching right now on some things and it popped into my head, hope you notice the time of this post 1:40.  Just thought it would be very interesting seeing as how when I go to DJ parties I have to take out my  sub box to fit my equipment in my car, and if I do this I could hook up the DJ/car speaker meanwhile when I am driving to DJ that way I have some low end in my system.  Not to sure how I would go about powering up the speakers and subs though, looked on parts express and just to power one 15 is around $500.  Would also be cool to show off as sort of a display when trying to convince people to buy higher end audio as I will get more money if they purchase higher end stuff.  Dang this idea is insane, let me know what you guys think, especially you guys that are moderators like forbidden, Velocity Motors, DYohn, and some of you other big guys up in the ranks, as you guys know a whole lot about car audio.  Even if it isn't as great as marketed DJ equipment you have to give me credit as being a sweet idea considering its 3 different uses.

I hope to here peoples input on this crazy idea since there are others wanting to build home audio with car audio, this will be quite a bit more interesting.

Well gentlemen I hope to hear the postive and negative comments on this one, although hoping for more positive and definently some positive reinforcement if it will be possible to pull it off!

Thanks guys!

-Wayne

austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2006 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
You could build everything into the car, then drive it right into the club,  like the pioneer scion.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 18, 2006 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  

I was at my niece's wedding and the DJ sucked bad.  His system had no sound good enough to make a fat drunk 45 year old woman want to get up and dance...and you know that has to be bad.  My brothers and some other people had earlier been checking out my car system in the parking lot, and before long a grassroots movement grew to get me to back my car up to the club doors and we would take over the sound.

I, though, being ever the gentleman, wouldn't do such a thing.

We just partied in the parking lot instead.   Car audio as DJ system? - Last Post -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
HAHA that is funny, I swear I almost did that last Saturday night.  This DJ was the funkiest looking fool I had ever seen and could not DJ if his life depended on it!  Guy would ruin mixes and then forget o0o hey I forgot to put a song on ugh ohh what do I do.  It was crap!  Then instead of all eyes on the birthday girl it was all eyes on him when he decided to put on a costume and sing karokee, it was horrible I wouldn't have even given him $5 for that party WOW.
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  
In answer to the question:
Yes, you could make speakers to use as a DJ. Unfortunately, if you're one for sound quality, you are not going to want to shell out money for car speakers, for the following reasons:
1) Car Speakers are just that, speakers designed for cars. Their acoustic parameters are optimally configured for the confines and reflectometry of a car cabin.
2) Car speakers, with the exclusion of subwoofers and component systems, are usually several speakers combined into one package to conserve space and simplify wiring. However, this decrements the overall sound quality of the setup and is therefore undesirable if space permits. In other words, if you were to make a speaker cab of 12 6x9's, it would sound terrible and cost a lot. Instead, you could buy 6 tweeters and 6 woofers, for half the price, wire it yourself, and make it sound a hell of a lot better.
3) Comparatively priced, car audio speakers are more for the dollar then standard home audio speakers. You'd be much better off getting a book from your local library on building a good speaker of cabs and then ordering the parts yourself. It is both a rewarding and interesting process you will surely enjoy.
Overall, I would say that if you intend to make anything OTHER then a subwoofer box, you should NOT use car stereo speakers. The acoustics simply are not meant to be used in a big DJ setup. Instead, spend your money on some quality home/DJ speakers and design/build the box yourself. However, if you're just looking to add some extra bump and thump to your lineup, using a car stereo subwoofer would be just fine. Just be sure to match up the impedence (ohms) right! DJ amps can get a little tricky in their wiring processes so it's a good idea to get DVC subs if you're planning to go through with this. That way, you have more flexible wiring options.
Hope this helped.
--mindctrl
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
interesting thoughts, thanks.  Yea I was thinking of more a show off type thing not more of a thats the only speakers I have.  Well maybe I will use some L7's for low end, or maybe go with two solo x's 18's lol.  Dunno still want some more neg and pos input.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  
I use 2 mid grade subs in my garage, if rattles the rafters and vibrates the windows in the house if I really get it loud.     and I have a 25x30ft garage bout 100 feet behind the garage.
If the box is built right for them I think they would work just fine, just tune as low as possible witht he subs you decided on.    The L7 15's has a fs of 22 or 24....so I would say go for it!
since its for a dj system   I would say 6 cu ft per sub, one 3.5x16x15-18long port would do nice!    hope you can fit that in your car   haha!
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with Jeff, I have seen car audio used in this format. Its all in how the boxes are built. The down side is the size of boxes you'll need. There is  a local band using that bought 6 cheapo 15's to replace some equipment that was stolen, it sounds just as good or better than the old stuff they had. The boxes they had built were large and heavy fyi.
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
yea sounds cool, could I use the DJ horns with the subs if I were to use a crossover?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic