icon

98 Camry VIP RS3000 & Viper 150ESP

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 15, 2003 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  

Use your blue "status" or blue/black "third ignition" wire from the DEI piece to the keysense wire; this will allow the VIP system to always disarm during remote start.

Here's a way I just thought of to disarm the VIP system while unlocking.....I haven't tried this before, but I think it will work:

Take your DEI's unlock wire and send it to a relay to make a negative pulse when the button is pressed (there are plenty of relay explanations on this site to help you with this).  Use three diodes attatched to the relay's output.....now you have in your hand three wires, that are each isolated from each other, that each make a negative pulse when you press "unlock" on your DEI remote.

Send one of these to the car's unlock wire, as usual.  Send the next to the car's keysense wire.  Send the third to the DEI's satellite relay pack.......see the little thin pink wire?  This is a negative trigger from the remote starter, that tells the ignition relays to turn on.........tie your wire in here.

Now you'll have a setup where every time you press "unlock" on your DEI remote, three things happen:  The doors open, the keysense wire sees a signal, and the ignition in the car fires up.......all for exactly one second and then it stops.........this should serve to disarm the VIP alarm nicely.  (TIP:  For your particular install, the DEI's orange accessory wire is not needed, as it only powers up the radio........remove this relay from the relay pack and make use of it for your unlock/disarm trick....instead of going out to buy one.)

Oh, and you may notice that the DEI's unlock wire already puts out a ground, and you're wondering why you need the relay.  The DEI's output is most likely not strong enough to run three things at the same time......maybe two, but three is unlikely.  Using the relay to make the ground will ensure that you don't have trouble, and that you don't burn out the DEI's output.

As far as arming the VIP system, I think the only way to do it is to use the Toyota remote.  You could always open up the remote, solder wires to its circuit board, and use a relay triggered by the Viper to activate the Toyota remote........it's something to think about if you like working with this stuff......but it's probably more effort than it's worth.

Or, if you don't need the alarm too badly, you can remove it as 10nesne1 said.  Or just leave it in place but only use it when you park in dangerous areas.

whereisthatwire 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2003 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks.  I'll be trying it if there is no snow storm this weekend.
circus boy 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2003 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

i am going to be doing an 2003 or 2002 rav-4 with the same vip alarm in it.  chris would  i do the sam thing to the rav-4  as you stated to do the the camry,   and any info on how to disarm the vip while remote start, customer has already been to  best buy and they cant get it to work.

also  how would i go about bypasssing it so we no longer us the vip alarm?

thanks in advance to all who  reply

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  

Well, first make the tests mentioned above-----there's always the chance that it's a factory-installed alarm.  If it is, then using the proper lock/unlock wires will get it to arm/disarm just fine.

Exactly what you'll have to do will depend on how your tests turn out..........but does the customer actually care about the alarm anymore?

If they don't care, I'd suggest two different options, depending on how much you're charging them...

1.  If it is indeed an alarm that was installed after the car was made, completely remove the entire system and its harnesses, as 10nesne1 says.  This normally takes me around 10 minutes or so if no one else has worked on the car. 

However, the Best Buy installers may have made some of their connections at the VIP harness, rather than on the factory Toyota harness.  If this is the case, allow extra time/money to disconnect these splices and move them onto the Toyota harness.

2.  If the customer is cheap:  Hook up keyless entry.  Hook up to the keysense wire, so that the alarm will NEVER go off under remote start.  Tell the customer not to touch the VIP remote ever again-----but to keep it in the glove box, in case they somehow trigger the alarm and are too stupid/forgetful to insert the key in the ignition to disarm it.

Note that in all cases, Toyota remotes don't work with the motor running.  I suppose you could find the ignition input into the VIP system, and interrupt it under remote start..........this would keep the VIP working, but the customer would still have to carry two remotes.

finnman925 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  

The new rav 4 can be armed/disarmed with an aftermarket remote - the wires are blue/wht for arm/lock and blue for disarm/unlock.  This will only unlock the driver's door.  Second unlock press within 5 sec will do other doors, or use trunk output from aftermarket remote to trigger the blue / YELLOW wire

all of these wires are in the driver's kick panel

by the way - all of the pre-99 toyotas have starter kill relays, and cannot be controlled from aftermarket remotes.  after 99, the key could control these alarms, and therefore, so can we.

on the 98 camry, it is possible to interface somewhat.

let me know if you need more info.

circus boy 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2003 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for all your  quick replys, will let ya know how it goes when i do the car

thanks again

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic