icon

How to make LED turn signals

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
upland8 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2004 honda civic cp and I want to fabricate a housing out of ABS Plastic or Acrylic material to house 6 or 8 LEDs. I want to put them on the outward side of the side mirrors, therefore the housing must be very minimal (approx 0.5" width, 0.5" depth, 5" length). Any help on how to fabricate the housing and how to wire the LEDs is greatly appreciated. If I buy 12V automotive LEDs, do I still need to place a resistor inline?
Thanks,
Graham '04 Civic Cpe
crcustoms45 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
lol good luck man
Chris
CRCustoms
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  

I would tell you to buy some aftermarket turn signal mirror made for your vehicle, and then change the leds. and yes you would need to add a resistor for 12v leds because most cars but out anywhere from 12v-14v.GL w/ your project.

sS

rtfm
keep_hope_alive 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
if you buy LED's in a store that are 12V and have leads coming off them they already have the resistor installed (usually). just parallel those together as needed. The fabrication part is all you man. good luck.
Electrons behave like waves on monday, wednesday, and friday, like particles on tuesday, thursday, and saturday, and like nothing at all on sunday.
spiceisler 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
Do a search for "led truck lighting" and choose something thats small enough to fit into the turn signal housing and connect your new LED light to the existing wires. Thre's gonna be some fabricating to make it fit but usually it's just trimming some plastic. Use hot glue to hold it in place.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 5:09 AM / IP Logged  

Unless you have experience with clear epoxy acrylic, you are better off getting a hold of electroluminescent sheets and coating them with a protective film. That will also allow for more exotic designs for the lighting.

The only other thing we can think of is if you really want to make the housing for LEDs you'll have to heat an 1/8" or thinner (preferably thinner) and shape it to the contour of your mirrors.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic