icon

Need help with wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Am pM HooDluM 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2003 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
Okay....i ran back a 4AWG Power wire, a remote wire, and the RCA plugs...my JBL1200.1 AMP is running fine.....but...problem with the dimming lights......i tryed to 1 Farad power caps....didn't work......tryed a BATCAP 300....i hooked that up the way it said and it just runs off that....fixed my lights...but after a couple of sec's it drains my BATCAP i have to turn volume like all the way down then it recharges.....but how can i get it to recharge on the fly.......i've had my charging system all checked out and its all good....please help me
Derrik 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2003 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

You can't recharge the cap fast, even if you can it'll create arching. The bigger the cap is the longer it will take.

I did some research myself and found out that Cap is not the solution for your dimming light. The voltage going to your Amp can go up and down (not steady at 13.8V) The cap is there smooth out the voltage as much as possilbe. it's like voltage regulator or shock absorber. Cap is for SQ solution. Some high-end amps will have their own voltage regulator.

Sounds like your alternator and battery can't handle your stereo system. I would think a good way to solve that problem is to get a secondary alternator. by having a cap to the system, you're putting pressure on your alternator, It'll burn faster and you know how much that will cost you. having a 2nd alternator working for your system, you jepardizing your car electrical system either.

If you look back a few page. You'll see we discussed about the dimming issue before and cap is not the solution. good luck

Am pM HooDluM 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2003 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Is it possible to put another alternator on my car  98 Volkswagen Jetta GLX.....i know u can get a GM Alternator and then get custom brackets to then i could have a bigger alternator.....but that costs like $800.......if u find info on adding a 2nd alternator let me know......yea...i would really like to get this prob fixed.....
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2003 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
You could also install a second battery and isolator.  This is a cheaper route.  You can pick up a battery isolator from just about any auto parts store for $30-$60.  The isolator acts as a brain and routes the current from the alternator to whichever battery is lowest in juice.  I suggest using sealed/gel batteries, especially if you mount the second battery inside the vehicle.  1 battery runs your vehicles electrical system (lights, ignition, etc) as normal.  The second battery should be used to power your amps.  I've run complete stereo systems from second batteries, and the dimming problem is solved.  If you run you Head Unit's 12v to the second battery as well, just remember to turn it off as this isolates the HU from the cars ignition!  The amps will turn off automatically when the HU is turned off via the remote line either way.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic