Plexiglas roof idea

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
turtleturtle 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
sawhit4 wrote:

Yeah.  how do you plan to seal it?  Would you have to make your own rubber parts to seal the edges? 

I will use the same gasket rubber liner like I did on my front windshield (which is also plexiglass). I do drive this car around all the time guys, but it is not my only car.
For sealing the car when I am driving, I will have latches on the inside that get the roof tight enough so it will not leak.
I am not worried about locking up the car as my radio, speakers, subs, and amps are all hidden and locked up with key locks.
"...am I not Turtley enough for the Turtle Club?"
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

Yea, within a few hours you had me go from "kinda cool idea" .... to .... "this has to happen, and I will assist in any way I can"

LOL

The wooden mold is a good idea.  I do not suppose you have access to welding equipment, kind of like the wooden mold idea but use spaced wire support.  It is killing me right now that I do not have all my drawing apps with me, to draw out what I am talking about for you.

At this rate, I am sure more great ideas and support will continue to pure in.  When I get home, I will go illustration crazy, and post some things.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
Melted Fabric wrote:

Yea, within a few hours you had me go from "kinda cool idea" .... to .... "this has to happen, and I will assist in any way I can"

LOL

The wooden mold is a good idea.  I do not suppose you have access to welding equipment, kind of like the wooden mold idea but use spaced wire support.  It is killing me right now that I do not have all my drawing apps with me, to draw out what I am talking about for you.

At this rate, I am sure more great ideas and support will continue to pure in.  When I get home, I will go illustration crazy, and post some things.

I do not have a welding machine, but I do have a friend that has one. Spaced wire support??? You lost me LOL.
I do not want it to become to complicated as right now it looks like it can be fully functional and work like a charm
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
New Idea! Make the none tinted part of the left and right side part windows the can open and close (either sliding windows that slid back, or opening windows that are hinged in the inside of the car and fold and latch to the bar in the middle!) That way I do not bake to death in this thing! LOL
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
Plexiglas roof idea - Page 3 -- posted image.
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

I see, not sure if you were going for hidden look or not.  Like ...hiding the henges if you will.

When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I went searching just now to see what other Karmann Ghias look like, and happen to come across this lovely red thing

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/624745

It may be a bit off topic, but thought you should see it, I cannot imagine how much work went into that. Look at what kind of motor it has.

sawhit4 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
Melted Fabric wrote:

LOL

I think with the spaced wire thing he means getting some round solid stock (round bar) and bending it to an arc shape, welding to a flat peice, and then repeating the process making smaller arcs to form the shape.  Much like a rib cage.  Atleast thats what it sounds like.  That idea would also work.  And would be faster, atleast for someone who knows how to weld. 

turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
My engine is new.... Did you ever make a diagram, waiting....
turtleturtle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
I don't care if the hinges are hidden.
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic