icon

air space

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
moptop 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2006 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

I got a 76 Firebird. I'm trying to put 2 15s in the trunk with a (not built yet) fiberglass box. I'm looking at put one sub in normal and the other reverse mounted. How would this effect the air space? Each one sub calls for 1.5-1.7, so I need 3-3.4.

I'll problay only put one of them in air space - Last Post -- posted image. because I only have 1.2 cu.ft

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 04, 2006 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
If you only have that much space and its not even enough fot the minimum of your 15, than why don't you sell both those and get one good 12 that will work with the 1.2 cubic feet of space??
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 04, 2006 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
You've got more than 1.2 cubic feet in that trunk.  Why shortchange your sub system?  But to answer your original question, the inverted sub won't displace any volume from the enclosure.  Most sub manuals will give you the data you need.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
moptop 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2006 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

I've yet to buy the subs, and I do have more room. Just not to much, my trunk is more narrow/shallow. I do got enuff room to make a single 15 work correctly.

The reason I wanted two 15s was because I got a single 10 in there now.......and its not cutting it at all. I'm really thinking about making the rear seat fold down and put two 12s or 15s instead.

Oh ya, on top of that its got a 455, full length headers going to cherry bombs to turndowns. So my exhaust stop right under the front seats air space - Last Post -- posted image. (hint..hint...its a little loud) I'm going to put some kind of sound deaden kit in there to help.

enzo1 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2006 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
you can actually buy 1 12" sub and make it sound like one hell of a 15" with the correct box. if you seal it will be tighter but if you can figure out the proper cubic feet then you should try to port it wether it be a cirlce port or slot port. it will be a night and day difference. lots of 12" subs have almost the same hz level and about the same magnet size also making it have a better motor structure.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 05, 2006 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
Moptop...with the proper enclosure your one 10 could sound like one 15...There's more to spl and sound than just the size of the woofer.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2006 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  

The answer to your question is guidance. This vehicle is a little more of a challenge than others due to the weird shapr of the trunk. Unless you are fully prepared to do and tackle a custom sub box for a good sub, do not expect to get above average output from any sub. Good bass response is all about the box. Two 10's or even 12's can fit, expect the box though to make or break the output of them. Not happy with what you have now? Look to a new box system first, then choose a sub for it.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic