icon

factory alarm, jeep cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
acet 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hey you guys, my friend is having a problem. His factory alarm system on his jeep cherokee is messed up. The car starts but dies right away because of the fuel cut off option on the factory alarm. Is there a way to disconnect the alarm? and if so, where?
I drive a S13 :)
Fullthrottle 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
Fuel cutoff? What year? I dont remember ever seeing a fuel cutoff on any of the FSM wiring diagrams. More then likely its the CPS - crankshaft position sensor gone bad.
The alarm module is going to be with the keyless entry. Which more then likely is in the passenger kick panel.
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
waht year is your jeep
acet 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
See the car cranks up and dies almost right away. It seems like its a fuel cut off system
acet 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
instead of fixing the sensor, can i just disconnect the alarm module all together so i can start the car up?
glantern83 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
No you cant.. Get a decent scantool and hook it up clear all codes even if you dont find any.... Should fix the problem....
-Kitt
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think it is all that likely the car has a fuel cutoff.
Most factory alarms just sound the horn and flash the lights if the door is opened.....there is not usually a starter or fuel kill......except for the newer cars with transponder keys.
Regardless, if the engine is not running, it is because of one of three possible reasons: no spark, no fuel, or no air. It is mostly impossible for the engine not to be getting air.........so you'll want to focus on fuel and spark.
If you really want to verify that the engine is not running because it is not receiving fuel.........have someone else try to start the car while you shoot some carburetor cleaner into the air intake.
If it'll run on the carb cleaner, it's a fuel issue. If it still won't run, it must not be getting spark.
Fullthrottle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
Not a fuel cutoff - its the CPS or crankshaft position sensor.
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  

Actually the factory alarm in older grand cherokees would do exactly what he's talking about.  On the passenger side of the dash there should be a fuse marked alarm.  Pull it out.  That should disable the factory alarm.  the down side is it will also disable the factory keyless entry if you still have it.  The other option is to find the factory alarm disarm wire and pulse a ground to it before trying to start the truck.

Factory Alarm Arm pink/orange   +  pass. kick red plug   
Factory Alarm Disarm purple / YELLOW   -  driver kick black plug   

Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
Fullthrottle 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
cntrylvr79 wrote:

Actually the factory alarm in older grand cherokees would do exactly what he's talking about. On the passenger side of the dash there should be a fuse marked alarm. Pull it out. That should disable the factory alarm. the down side is it will also disable the factory keyless entry if you still have it. The other option is to find the factory alarm disarm wire and pulse a ground to it before trying to start the truck.

<TABLE borderColor=#d3d3d3 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#ffffff border=1><T>
<T>
<TR align=middle height=18>
<TD width=135> <FONT color=#0000ff>Factory Alarm Arm</TD>
<TD width=135> pink/orange </TD>
<TD align=middle width=135> + </TD>
<TD> pass. kick red plug </TD>
<TD align=middle width=100> </TD></TR>
<TR align=middle height=18>
<TD width=135> <FONT color=#0000ff>Factory Alarm Disarm</TD>
<TD width=135> purple / YELLOW </TD>
<TD align=middle width=135> - </TD>
<TD> driver kick black plug </TD>
<TD align=middle width=100> </TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Im looking at the FSM for the Cherokee right now with alarm - the Cherokee doesnt have a fuel cutoff.
When the crankshaft position sensor goes you will get no fuel or spark - the computer doesnt know where the crankshaft is. I have had it go out on me as I was driving.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic