icon

That kick in the chest Midbass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smurphalurph 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 5:44 AM / IP Logged  
Just trying to find some good midbass to go along with my system. I am currently running and old Sony headunit, Pioneer 5x7s in the front doors, Pioneer 6x9s in rear deck, 2JL 12w3s in a ported enclosure, and a JL500/1. But I am looking for a kick in the chest... midbass. While keeping up with the JLs. Can anyone reccomend something like that.. Price doesnt matter right now I just want to have options.
When you do things right, people won't realize you've done anything at all.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
The best way is also (possibly) the most complicated and (definitely) the most expensive way. I recommend a three way system, but not an off the shelf three-way system. You're going to have to pick your components very carefully.
As a suggestion, start with the Adire Extremis, running around 50-60Hz, up to about 300Hz. A good quality 3 or 4 inch mid, running up to about 3K or so, and then a nice tweeter (no metal domes). You will be tri-amping, with about 200 watts to the mid-bass, 70 watts to the mid, and then about 25 to 50 watts for the tweeter.
Damp the doors... damp them like there is no tomorrow. They're going to need it. Active crossovers will be absloutely necessary here, and it won't be cheap.
I have about 10K in my whole system, including all amps, crossovers, Dynamat Extreme, and wires. (As I said, it won't be cheap.) When all finished, I will have mid-bass, the likes of which God has never heard! This is really a system that is just a next-generation of the system I had in my 86 Civic, and my mid-bass then WAS very much the "kick in the chest" mid-bass.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
While I certainly agree with haemphyst's suggestion above, if you are not ready for that level of complexity the first thing you need to do is ditch your Pioneer coaxials and install a good component set up front with an appropriately sized amplifier.
Support the12volt.com
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
As a suggestion, start with the Adire Extremis, running around 50-60Hz, up to about 300Hz. A good quality 3 or 4 inch mid, running up to about 3K or so, and then a nice tweeter (no metal domes). You will be tri-amping, with about 200 watts to the mid-bass, 70 watts to the mid, and then about 25 to 50 watts for the tweeter.
"running around 50-60Hz, up to about 300Hz" on what device do you make those settings on? Crossover/Deck?
After reading this, I would like to do this setup for a client's car.
I was originally just going to do a pair of Diamond Audio 6x9, (4) Diammond 6.5 [2 Front Door][2 Rear Door] and 4 Tweeters [2 front pillar pods][2 rear pillar pods](not sure of brand/model yet)
I have never bought or used a crossover before, although the deck has those features (Alpine CDA-9853)
Haemp, or anyone else do you recommend I add those Adire Extremis to that configuration mentioned above?
(I am not the pro in car audio that I want to be yet, forgive my newb questions)
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
A bandpass crossover is what you need to start to properly separate frequencies in a fully active system. This gives you the maximum amount of flexibility to make the changes you need in the system. I too would deep six the Pioneer coax's, add a good size amp and components up front. Then and only then would I start to consider midbass drivers.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  

Along with all of the suggestions above, one thing that can really improve over all performance and the one you are looking for is a PROPER install. Nothing is more frustrating than buying a $600 comp set and being let down miserably only because short cuts and sloppy technique were enlisted in the install.

So for proper imaging and staging, at least try to move the tweeter arround and find the best location possible. Some times there just isn't room for the mid bass to be re-located.

Sound deading is a an absolute must. Don't bother installing a nice set of speakers (or even low end ones) with out some sort of sound deading. Particularly in doors. Cover as much sound robbing metal as possible.

I like three way setups, although it would be a 4 way with subs, however they can be more complicated, and even still I like a three way setup with passive x-overs that come from a mfr. (like Dynaudio)

However, I know from experience that you can obtain what you are looking for with a simple two way system. Time to start saving!

Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
Well, that is cool information. Yea, it is just that I promised the client an insane system with next level clarity. Bass so deep and evil that Satan himself would jump when that car comes down the street.
I am damping everything material will go over except the windows
(not sure if I should do the roof).
I did not mention it, but a Solo X 10 or 12 will be in the trunk too.(2500W RMS)
I am going to have
4     Tweeters (unknown) in each of the four pillars
2     6.5" Diamond Audio Door speakers Front Doors
2     6.5" Diamond Audio Door speakers Rear Doors
2     6x9 Diamond Audio Rear Deck speakers
I list all that to ask this... To power all that, I will just be buying multiple amplifiers
right?
Or is there another way to split power to branch out to all those locations / speakers?
I will also add in a bandpass crossover as Forbidden suggested. Recommended any good ones?
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
IMO the only thing I would add to the above posts would be to make sure that your mid-bass drivers have some sort of decent enclosure. Just as an enclosure can make or break a sub's capability, the same goes for your mid-bass drivers. Have some sort of solid sealed enclosure. My ADSs were very disappointing until I got them sealed correctly.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
I can attest to that too Flakman, installed the Diamond Audio 6x9 I mentioned above, and forgot to close the truck lid when I tested them and wondered why they sounded like supreme crap, then I closed the trunk, and you would swore I had 8 to 10" inch woofer in the trunk when all it was was just the two 6x9s.
smurphalurph 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys, Im not sure about 10k on a system. maybe later. i would say i have about 1500 at least put into it already. Then again it is a Ford Contour so many call me crazy. but i will check that stuff out.
When you do things right, people won't realize you've done anything at all.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic